Windows XP Cannot Copy Files..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Everything to Nothing
I have this message when trying to install XP on my girlfriends dad's pc, I think it is the disk he is using whereas he thinks it is another problem. I am going to try my copy tomorow and I cannot think of anything else which would stop it copying files...?

Any Suggestions? Cheers.

Needs a format the drive is full? Maybe the drive is write protected? It can really be a lot of stuff. With such little info provided we cant really be of help.

You say it happens when trying to install XP. Did you do a full format first? Did you do a Quick format? Did you format at all? Did you run chkdsk /r /f?

Without knowing this information as well as if the disk is scratched or in good condition we are just making wild guesses.

Ahh I just realised what may have caused it. I'm not sure what he did with the drive but it was not formatted to ntfs and he said that the xp installation couldn't see it, so i formatted it with the almighty g-parted to ntfs. Then what I didn't do was format it again with windows, just left it...which could have caused it? And I believe the drive is alright just whatever was on it messed up.

You shouldnt have to format it again after you format it with GParted. I never do and i dont have this issue. I would use the Recovery Console on the XP CD (Hit "R" at the first screen) and run chkdsk /r /f as it sounds like there are bad sectors on the drive. This should fix it.

Also note that if you choose to you could do a full format instead as this should accomplish the same thing.

Ok, I have taken a note of that. I will go over tomorow and see what I can do.

Cheers mate.

are you saying that the xp setup gives this message while copying files during an install.?

the the 3 biggest reasons that it does this.

Bad Ram
Bad XP Disc
Bad cd dvd rom Drive

I run into this all of the time. memtest86 can tell you about ram, you can usually look at a bad discs and burn another clean disc and a new internal or an external cd dvdd rom will fix the last one

usually xp will copy files over on a bad drive (it will take a long time though), it just won't install right or it won't install at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom