Windows has encountered a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemgem24

Beta member
hi..my name is gem

my laptop had a vista ultimate edition free trial. then i installed an update from the net that required restarting. when it was shutting down, it was configuring the update, but it took so long so i decided to abort it by turning off my laptop. when i turned it on, it said that there were corrupted files and the only option was to insert a vista installation disc and choose 'repair computer'. however, i didn't have the disc back then. so i turned it off and ran ubuntu instead by using the ubuntu live disc.

i bought the vista dvd just now, but while the installation was in progress, it displayed this message:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.
This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"

there is nothing plugged to my laptop.

i tried plugging my USB and my phone, but it didn't work...

i need help.

thank you all ^^

Re: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your c

Make sure your Media Drive is seeded correctly. Sometimes that connection can become loose. Usually on the bottom of the laptop there is a slide or button that will allow you to remove the drive. I would take it out and put it back in with the power off. Then try again.

Re: Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your c

You have no choice in this. You will have to use the Vista DVD format and reinstall.

The DVD is not the same media as the one you downloaded. That was a Upgrade package. The media bought was not. There is no way to use a Full install package in place of a upgrade package to fix the problem. By restarting the machine when it strictly said not to, you corrupted it.

There is nothing that can be done to fix it. Format and start over. Use the Linux LiveCd to get yoru personal files off the drive.

Make sure your Media Drive is seeded correctly. Sometimes that connection can become loose. Usually on the bottom of the laptop there is a slide or button that will allow you to remove the drive. I would take it out and put it back in with the power off. Then try again.

by "take it out", you mean I have to open (sort of using a screw driver) my laptop and take the drive out then put it back again?

thanks.. :big_smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom