Windows 7 as Main OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenenbaum

In Runtime
I'm willing to install Windows 7 as a main OS, unless anyone can tell me why not too?
I don't like having partitions, I'd rather just have the whole main OS.

I've heard new builders just installing it and it doing completely fine.
What would be con's of doing this?
What would be the pro's of doing this?

Reason : My HDD went bad, had to replace it, I have no disc. Don't feel like buying a whole new OS.

I would still recommend a partition, but it's up to you.

Mak uses Win7 full time pretty much, he doesn't have a lot of problems.

In that case I'm just going to install it now.

I'll create a partition later if needed.
Downloading now.

Not matter what OS I use, I just like having a partition to make sure my data is safe, that's all. I use the main one for OS and programs, and the other for storage.

Of course, at the moment, I have 2 partitions for Vista and 7, two partitions for each OS page file, and the rest of it is storage, haha...

I went a little partition crazy.

Not matter what OS I use, I just like having a partition to make sure my data is safe, that's all. I use the main one for OS and programs, and the other for storage.

Of course, at the moment, I have 2 partitions for Vista and 7, two partitions for each OS page file, and the rest of it is storage, haha...

I went a little partition crazy.

Good idea ^^
Just lost large amounts of data. Set me back pretty bad.

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to only lose 60gb worth in my computer owning career...stupid macbook...

I use it full time. I have no other OS installed. The only drawback I have is finding drivers that actually work on a few things, that aren't installed by 7 automatically. Since it IS Beta, it would be very wise to make a separate partition, 'cause you never know what can/will happen. I had to re-install once, don't remember why though.

Just be prepared. Using Win7 full time does have its draw backs. For 1 not all games will work. Another not all software will work. They are not updated to work on the OS or they have a built in version checker that doesnt allow for it to be installed in Win7.

Be prepared to try and find drivers. Win7 does use a lot of Vista based drivers, but at the same time that doesnt mean they will work and give you full function as they did in Vista.

Also let it be known that while i love Win7 and i do use it full time, it is not without its problems. Just last night while in a IM Convo with Hikari i had a fatal system error that crashed Explorer.exe and i had to hard shut down the system to get it recovered.

Even after that no more than a hour after i had gone to sleep my system BSOD. I only found out when i came back and i was at the logon screen. So there are still glitches that have to be worked out and as such there is not always a answer that can be found. I am lucky as i have insider knowledge. But even so that doesnt mean that all of my problems have been fixed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom