Win7 Ultimate RAID setup issues..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antec-User

Papa Chester
I can't get the RAID drivers to load during the setup... I've heard that yo don't need RAID drivers for WIN7, but either way, I'm having a hard time setting it up.

What should be done first for a RAID setup? It's been a couple months since I've done this, so I forgot how I did it.. RAID enable in BIOS first, then the setup thru CTRL-F, then the WIN7 setup?

I tried almost every way, and the only way I can get 7 to see the HDD's is with out RAID enabled in the BIOS.

Well i dont use RAID so i wont be of much help. Considering that this could change by the time you get the final version...

Have you tried to have the RAID Drivers on a floppy and do the F6 during the setup? I know that option is still there.

Yeah, you will need the drivers and do the whole F6 thing still. Otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything right. What motherboard are you using to setup the RAID with?

Thanx for the responses..

My mobo is a Gigabyte MA790GX-DS4H.. I have to update my sig. I downloaded win& RC Directly from Microsoft (Authorized by Microsoft with Email Verification.) So I"m installing that now.. I'll try again with the new Win7 format. I had the drivers on the floppy, but whatever I did they wouldn't show up in the setup.. Quite frustrating..

I don't have an F6 option during setup. The RAID window is CTRL F to get into the RAID window, the odd thing was, I got into it to define the RAID setup, set it to RAID 0 and it said the capacity was 149 gigs... ??? Dual 80g WD HDD's in RAID 0 should be 80g...or close to it ??

I still can't get these drivers to show up. I've got em on the floppy, I had to take each file off individually and put them on the disc like that or they wouldn't show up. It did it last time too.

raid0 is stripped so 2 x 80gb = 160gb
raid1 is mirrored so 2 x 80gb = 80gb

You should set it up in the bios raid utility. build the array then windows 7 install should see them to format and install on them.

^ oh, ok.. I thought a stripped raid would just be 80g (in my case)..

And I built the raid array and went to install windows 7 and it didn't see any of the discs during the setup. I shouldn't have to erase the discs in the RAID setup, should I? It does that during the format.

This is the latest Win7 release candidate, so it SHOULD have some kind of RAID drivers. it says that the drivers could be on a hard disc, CD or USB.

Win7 DOES have RAID Drivers. But for every RAID controller and driver out there is another story. It would be like saying Win7 has drivers for every video card and sound card ever available. It just isnt going to happen.

So yes Win7 DOES have RAID Drivers. It just may not have your specific RAID Driver. Just as Vista has SATA Drivers, but it may not have a specific SATA Driver for a computer.

It is not possible to include every driver for every device/controller. The Driver.cab file would be so huge you wouldnt fit the installer onto a 8.5 GB DL DVD. So they have to pick and choose. Sadly they didnt pick your driver to be one of the ones included.

^ oh wow... That's a good point, I never thought of that..

I'm just having a problem getting the drivers to show up.. I'm moving soon, so it'll be a while before I'll be messing with it again, maybe a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom