Win XP 64 bit does not load as it should do (not hardware)

Jonny125

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I've just built my parents a nice new rig with XP 64 bit to utilize the additional RAM. (They are old and are used to the XP interface). The machine usually works fine without any issues, very happy with it apart from this one problem.

Sometimes when they turn it on, it boots normally, the choice of which user account to log on to comes up, they choose their account, the user choice menu goes away as expected, but then it just sits there with the windows background and does not carry on with the final part of loading Windows. On task manager, all the applications that you would expect to load, do appear in task manager (but you still don't see anything except the background).

A few times that I've been there to see this, I have been able to do Ctrl+alt+delete > New Task > explorer.exe and it loads as it should have done, though this little trick doesn't always work. Sometimes it will carry on just sitting there, appearing to do nothing except present the background.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this, or what it may relate to? I'm stumped, all the googling I've done has lead me to threads related to hardware that have been no help.

The spec:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
Asus M5A99X EVO Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz (Mobo supports up to 1333Mhz, but can accommodate 1600Mhz)
I have used an old Seagate 250GB HDD, that wasn't causing any issues in the previous PC.

Note: This problem does not always happen, probably about 30% of the times they've turned it on. The other 70% of the time there is no problem whatsoever.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Sounds like a corrupt explorer process. Build another profile on that machine and see if it has the same issue. I too have seen this and usually starting the explorer process manually fixes it.

I would suggest building a new local profile on the machine and seeing if possibly the user profile just got corrupted.

Back
Top Bottom