Which Sound Card for Logitech Z-680

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike8787

Beta member
Hi there,
as the topic says I would need advice on which sound card for my Logitech Z-680 speaker system.

What I want:
Be able to watch DTS, Dolby Digital movies 5.1 on DVDs
Playing games ( with EAX or whats it called)
Overal increase in performance ( I'm using onboard audio atm)

My specs:
Asus M2N32 Sli Deluxe wireless mobo
Windows XP Professional SP2
Athlon Dual Core FX-62
Nvidia 7950 GX2
2gb Corsair 800mhz RAM

I'm not audiophile :)
Also Ive spent like 5 hours today reading reviews and I ended up being more confused than I was before.

Most important part for me would be the movies, also I'm in no mood to change the speaker system.

I don't mind to pay 200$ for the card but i need to see the reason, I'm not gonna buy it if I can't use it to it's full potential.

Any suggestions welcomed,
Thanks a lot,
Mike

Just search newegg until you find a card that plays things at the sound quality you want. Most any creative sound card you're gonna use is gonna show major improvement over your onboard.

digital connection

Yes.
It accepts optical and coax. Then it also accepts 3x3.5mm jack(analog).

Speaker systems also has DTS and dolby digital hardware decoding included.

For other reply ofc i tried that but some of these cards have problems I noticed Xfi Music had some problems during installation and lots of people are complaining about it.
Im hoping for some good reccomendation for card which utilizes features im looking for and its RELIABLE.

Thanks for your replies keep em comin' :eek:)

Mike

stay away from the x-fi series. There will be quite a few replies to this message about how you should get it, but trust me. Dont.

I normally suggest the audigy 2 zs, but in your case, you may want to get the platinum (or plat pro) so you can connect fiber optically.

If you dont do the platinum, then you can just hook up with analog connections (should be 3-4 connections). The only way you will get 100% true 5.1 is through digital though (as far as consumer computer surround sound goes)

additional questions

I want to go optical as you are suggesting, however i have some more questions if thats okay.

Let's say I will connect my Audigy to speakers through optical cable, that means that all decoding is done in the system and card is just 'passing' the sound over, is that correct?

That is fine by me concerning DVDs but how about games? I don't quite understand how sound is carried. Will it go through digital connection aswell?

If not what I think is the answer ( correct me if I'm wrong) I will need to connect optical and analog aswell?

In closing which cables do I need to connect my soundsystem to soundcard? Will they come with card or do I need to buy them separately?

Crysalis,
I noticed that you post on almost every sound forum here so I will take your advice and accept your suggestion.

Thanks,
Mike

ya... i'm a certified engineer... so i kinda try to help out here as much as possible as there are some people who give some completely OFF suggestions.

anyways... no matter what, your speakers will receive a digital connection. If it is not sending a Dolby or DTS signal, it will be reproduced in 2.1 Everything thats in 5.1 will be played in 5.1, and everything else will be 2.1

As for decoding, I would leave it up to the audigy. I have never used my digital connection as i dont have 5.1 for my computer. I dont know how to set that up 100%. Just leave the audigy to do the decoding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom