Which downloads should I get for Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I'm going to try to patch my vista install BEFORE I connect the computer to the internet. I found a MS webpage with lots of Vista updates that can be downloaded as executables.

How do I decide which ones to get? Here is one that looks like I should get:

Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone for x64-based systems (KB948465)

Thanks

Mark

What you should do is get AVG or avast installed before you connect to the internet. then connect and get that updated right away and the Windows updates. That way you are secure, and you can get patched before something bad happens.

^^ Agreed. Being secure with an antivirus software is much better than trying to patch Vista while not connected to the internet.

While what you want to do can be done, the main issue you are going to run into is that there are more updates which have to be installed before SP2 for Vista can be installed. Mainly that SP1 must be installed first.

So if you dont have a vista disk that has SP1 already on it you will have to get that installer first, install that, then get SP2, and install that. Which only secures you up to the release of that. It wont include the set of patches for this month for sure which had a reported 31 critical fixes.

So while what you want to do is good. It wont fully secure the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom