What types of Linux can I run on this PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD3V3N3Y

Solid State Member
Got an old Dell Dimension sittin' in my garage. Just wondering what type of linux I should install on it(I was thinking an older version of Xubuntu or something.)

System Specs: (taken from DirectX Diagnostic tool)
BIOS - Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A00
Processor - Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
Memory - 256MB RAM
Graphics Card - Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

Okay, now what burn speed should I burn the ISO at? is 10x okay because I don't think my pc can go lower...

now, with xubuntu 10.10, how long should it take to boot from the CD... it's been at the screen that says xubuntu in glowing letters for about 5 minutes

now, with xubuntu 10.10, how long should it take to boot from the CD... it's been at the screen that says xubuntu in glowing letters for about 5 minutes

It usually takes a little while to boot depending on your cd drive, but it shouldn't take a dramatically long time. You were given a menu upon booting into the cd correct?

yes a menu did come up and I chose to boot from the cd(try it before installing or something like that) and it hung on that screen for a while then my disk drive became inactive. I downloaded 8.04 and I got to the desktop but then it froze after about a minute. I'm currently downloading 7.10 to see if it works /:

yes a menu did come up and I chose to boot from the cd(try it before installing or something like that) and it hung on that screen for a while then my disk drive became inactive. I downloaded 8.04 and I got to the desktop but then it froze after about a minute. I'm currently downloading 7.10 to see if it works /:

I don't think that running an older version would be the best of options. You might want to try using the alternative installer, it's preferable for systems that are unable to run graphical installers.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/10.10/release/xubuntu-10.10-alternate-i386.iso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom