What powers Facebook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

williag1

Beta member
Hello fellow Forum member (and apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum),

I have a rather random, abstract query...

I have a fairly good idea how Facebook works from a user/front perspective. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any literature of backend of Facebook? E.g. what powers Facebook? What skills would someone need if hypothetically speaking you wanted to build a Facebook equivalent from scratch?

I'm just genuinely curious. And since I appreciate it is far from a one sentence answer,I would be eternally grateful if someone knows of any good sources of information and it could be books, websites, anything really? I'd just like a starting point.

Thanks very much in advance.

It's basically a large unmanaged CMS written in PHP. Nothing a small team of competent programmers couldn't achieve. As for books and resources you'd be hard pressed to find any. As soon as you know web development or a programming language it's very easy to see how it's developed.

Also FB has thier own datacenters as well. There actually is an Open Sourced FB clone CMS being made right now as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom