What makes you more marketable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaGump69

Baseband Member
I started out playing with computers in 1996. I really knew nothing about them before that. In Jan 98 I decided to take a programming track at my local community college. I focused on computer programming with and emphasis in VB (version 6 I think) and with some database programming in there as well. I finished this degree in June 2000 and decided to continue with the networking track. I got a little ahead of myself and jump into MCSE courses. I didn't really have the background and got cofused alot. I took the first four couses for win2k and decided to try a different approach. I enrolled in a tech school that offered a better structured networking track. This prepared students for the A+ and Net+. I earned my A+ in 2002 and have been using my computer skills since then. I am currently working as a computer technician. I am thinking of going to a Net+ boot camp. Would this cert help with employment?

I started out playing with computers in 1996. I really knew nothing about them before that. In Jan 98 I decided to take a programming track at my local community college. I focused on computer programming with and emphasis in VB (version 6 I think) and with some database programming in there as well. I finished this degree in June 2000 and decided to continue with the networking track. I got a little ahead of myself and jump into MCSE courses. I didn't really have the background and got cofused alot. I took the first four couses for win2k and decided to try a different approach. I enrolled in a tech school that offered a better structured networking track. This prepared students for the A+ and Net+. I earned my A+ in 2002 and have been using my computer skills since then. I am currently working as a computer technician. I am thinking of going to a Net+ boot camp. Would this cert help with employment?

The Network+ is very desirable by employers and those who are looking for an entry level job. I took the Network+ exam after I passed the CCNA. Basically the Network+ was very easy.

I believe nowadays it's most important to have experience. Certs do help in certain cases though, especially for say a network job and you have the Network +. Hopefully I'll get it at some point, but our Network Manager here at the Lab doesn't even have a networking degree. It's just about the experience and learning as much as you can honestly. Experience seems to be the guiding hand in IT employment above all else.

I have gotten offered multiple positions with No Degree and No Certs at all, but started in the I.T. field right out of high school at age 18 doing data entry then shortly moved up to level one operator, level one tech and now Systems Analyst. I have 7 years experience under the belt now and it appears to be good enough to compete against those with degree's/certs and minimal "true" (not fixing home PC's) hands on I.T. experience.

I have ran into the situation where it was me and another who were finalists, but he had an MCP cert and same years of experience and got the job because of it. I really need to get on the ball and at least pick up one cert :)

Experience>Degree>Certification or is it the other way Experience>Certification>Degree? I found the second one to be much more true.

Certification is definitely the way to go. If I were some employer and I'm hiring someone for a entry level network position, I would definitely choose the one holding a A+,Net+,CCNA,MCP (no work experience) over someone who has a 4 year college degree (no work experience). Reason being, the certification gets you regonized for the specific postion you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom