What does this do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I read, it has the capability of switching a network's bandwidth capacity, from 1000Mbps to 48Gbps, when needed.

extends one network link into 24 sub lines which then can be connected to either straight to a computer or extend to wireless routers and create 24 wireless bridges using the same network id for example in an office building :D

why do you want to know???

i don't know i just see them at my school and i never understood what they do, so basically all they do is allow Tons more computers to connect to a network?

Pretty much. I don't know if that switch has VLAN capability, price is too cheap for it. Basically, it opens up more ports for workstations or any type of node to connect to a network. If you want, I can explain the difference between a router a switch and a hub since they get confused with each other often.

Pretty much. I don't know if that switch has VLAN capability, price is too cheap for it. Basically, it opens up more ports for workstations or any type of node to connect to a network. If you want, I can explain the difference between a router a switch and a hub since they get confused with each other often.

Hub is the basic thing? Switch has a hub and then some? and a Router is the cumulative sum of them all with other features? Am I on the right track?

I will try my best. A hub and a switch have similar basic capabilites. A hub is much cheaper than a switch but the disadvantage of using a hub over a switch is a hub will equally divide the bandwidth among all the connected nodes whereas a switch will provide equal bandwidth among all connected nodes.

I.E. You have a 100mb/s line coming in to a hub that has 10 nodes connected to it. Each node will get 10mb/s of bandwidth. If a switch is used instead of the hub, each node will get the full 100mb/s of bandwidth from the originating connection.

A switch has many more features such as VLANs and different modes of packet forwarding (packet switching? can't remember >_<), but for the basic concept of creating more available ports for nodes to be connected, they both will do that job. Its up to your discretion. (I.E. if you have many network printers, they can all be connected with a hub since bandwidth isn't as heavy as a workstation's).

Again, a switch is much more expensive than a hub and there are some hubs that don't even need to be plugged in.

A router is what separates areas of a network, and the entire network from others areas or other networks. The router deals with the internet connection coming into the network and IP addressing.

Of course, there is much more to it than that, but those are the basics. If you have a single small home network, and you need more ports, do not use a router. (Although it is possible to daisy chain routers or set one up to act as a switch) You will get more ports for less money buying a switch than a router.

OSI Layers of operation:
Hub - Layer 1 (Physical)
Switch - Layer 2 (Data-Link)
Router - Layer 3 (Network)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom