webpages not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

webk

Beta member
I have a problem loading webpages in my browser.

Wepages are failing to load when I visit some sites using Internet explorer.
*For example, I cannot load www.lycos.com for the past week.
*Also MSN search page loads, but when I try to do a search nothing happens.
*Another example, yahoo.com loads very slowly mostly.
*Google works best, but even then some links from search results don't work.

This problem appeared in the past week. I have used Adaware, norton antivirus, yahoo antispy and stopped any processes running in tasks that are not necessary.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also, tried a different browser, firefox with the same result.

I am using windows XP, SP2.

keith

It might be some webshield protection which is built into Nortan internet security packages, disable it quickly and see if a search works on google, if not then see if your isp has a problem and call them up ;)

Thanks. The funny thing is that yahoo loads as normal now, for no reason. I didn't change anything. Lycos is still not responding and MSN search still not working, so maybe it is an isp thing. Especially as I found another computer on the same LAN as me not able to access Lycos.com (also strange because lycos.co.uk does load properly)
Google search has always worked.

Any other ideas. I find searching other forums on the net that many have complained recently about a similar problem, particularly yahoo images and slow loading pages.

Are you using NTL? If so you will need to create a proxy server! I had a problem like that a few months ago.

If u have IE: tools> internet options> you'll see a box labeled temporary files> delete files... (THIS WILL NOT HURT UR COMPUTER)
If u have FX: tools>options...>privacy (on the left)> cache>highlight>clear

I am not using NTL and I had already tried deleting the internet cache.
The problem still remains.

Good news. The problem has gone away. All by itself, without doing anything. Lycos works now after not working for 2 weeks. MSN.co.uk search works. Yahoo pages load normally.

I can't understand what the problem was. It was probably resurface again sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom