Webpage advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
I'm looking to propose some changes to our local church's webpage...it currently looks like it was designed by an 8th grader for an intro to html project. They don't need anything complicated:

- 10-15 pages for various program information (I'm thinking a 2 page template)
- download links for past sermons
- host pictures and video of retreats and other events

It's mostly to keep people informed of current issues and upcoming projects/events.

They have their domain and hosting already set up but what I want to do is switch content management to the church instead of an outside 3rd party. This way 3 or 4 key program people at the church can login and update their pages with new content quickly and easily. At this point noone has a clue about webpage editing at the church so it would have to be buddy basic, although some training is fine.

I've done a number of simple html pages....YEARS AGO....I used pretty much just html and some dreamweaver. Reading around it seems like dreamweaver might still be the best way to go so I was wondering what you guys think of either purchasing or finding a free basic dreamweaver template (I have enough photoshop skills to make the basics for buttons, banners and logos) and then managing content through dreamweaver.

or

Is it worth outsourcing for the complete setup? I don't mind doing some work on it for them, there is no pay but I have no issues helping them out to set up...but I don't want long term commitment to it's management so they (complete webpage newbs) need to take it over within a year or so. Again, they would need content ownership and access as there would be almost daily updates to some of the pages.

Other suggestions would be great. Again, is nothing fancy, just a nice looking and informative page.

Was checking out wordpress....interesting, now is it worth starting over in wordpress, something I've never used or should I go with dreamweaver since I'm familiar with it? What is the advantage of wordpress over dreamweaver?

You're comparing two completely different things here.

Wordpress is a content management system, which is a system of files that allows you to perform various tasks in a web environment. Wordpress allows you to do everything you want without needing any coding experience whatsoever. To add a page, you just click add page, type the content, and shizam. To update it, you just edit the content and shizam.

Dreamweaver on the other hand is an IDE (integrated development environment). It is a program used to code the files used in a web application (such as the files in Wordpress, for example).

Basically (assuming you don't have the skills to code a back-end), Wordpress will allow others, whom you give permission to, to edit the content on the website via a web browser, while Dreamweaver typically isn't used for that unless you have the coding skills to make it happen.

Just understand that Dreamweaver is an over complicated text editor, and Wordpress is a finished web application.

Ok, I think I understand...it's been a good 3 or 4 years since I tried anything with dreamweaver or any other webpage. Basically I can do basic coding in html, that's it.

The idea is a basic, informative page. The primary homepage and then a dozen or so secondary pages that basically just provide info, contact stuff, host photos and basic video, download sound tracks etc... nothing fancy. I just know that since I was familiar with dreamweaver I could do it that way.

I do however like the "live" editing which would be easier for everyone else who hasn't used dreamweaver before.

Ok guys, some updates. I've been given a $500 budget for the webpage....should I just get a local builder to mod a template we pickout that looks good? Essentially we only need a "home" page and then a second template for all the secondary pages. Content etc... we can add ourselves, same with links and other basic graphics.

Something like this (structure) would work:

WORDla

Opinions? I'd like to get away from building it myself and a $500 budget should be plenty for that...I think. I'd rather just oversee the process.

Again we'd be looking for a straight forward simple webpage that looks good, is easy to navigate and that a couple of people can easily edit. Any suggestions?

I still stand by my original advice. Use Wordpress. If you want to be able to easily edit and update content without coding experience, Wordpress is the perfect solution.

Cool, k, maybe what I'll do is see if I can find a local builder with wordpress who can do most of the work for me. If noone else has any recommendations then I think I'll go down that road early next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom