Vista 64 and game compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
Is there a list out there of games that wont work with Vista 64? I chose 64 because I had 4 gigs of ram and I felt it was time to take advantage of it. Lo and behold I try to install World In Conflict and it claims incompatibility and refuses to install. AOE 3 claims it isn't compatible either but at least it let me install. Why wont these games work? M$ has a long history of keeping support for legacy systems alive, XP works with 16bit programs, so why cant vista work with 32bit programs? What makes me the most ****ed of is that nowhere do the games state that they are incompatible with Vista 64 until you try to install them. In effect I wasted my money on games that don't work.

Will M$ fix this or are they going to leave me hanging? I find it hard to understand why a game branded as "Made for Windows" Doesn't work with windows. I may seem a little flustered, but if you take a step back and look at how much money I have spent on software here then you can get the idea.

Hello,

Your best bet is to try and find some compatiblity lists.

Windows Vista RTM Software Compatibility List - IeXwiki
64bit - x64 - 64 bit Compatibility

You might just need a patch or to run it in compatibility mode.

Also this isnt M$ fault. Blame the game developers. They did not code the game to work on 64 Bit if it doesnt work. That is not M$'s fault that the game developers didnt make the game compatible with the 64 Bit OS's.

Cheers,
Mak

AOE 3 was made before Vista came out. Also it works, but it gets random hangups, something not characteristic of a radeon 4850 and 4 gigs of ram. After I exit the game a popup says that the display driver stopped working but has since recovered.

Hello,

The display driver failing is a common thing. ATi and nVidia have both had many growing pains to get their drivers working correctly in Vista. nVidia has gotten much better. But from what i hear of the ATi catalyst drivers they are very good for Vista 64. So i dont know what could be causing your issues.

Maybe it is a application that is causing some of your issues.

Cheers,
Mak

At least with vista when a video driver hangs or crashes, vista kills the process and restarts it. If the same thing happened in XP you'd either have to hard boot or would get a blue screen of death.

ZMatt,

ATi just released Catlyst 8.8 try those.

Osiris posted a topic about this in the hardware area.

Cheers,
Mak

I downloaded and tried to install Catalyst 8 but it told me I didn't have any hardware that needed it, strange, last time I checked I had a 4850 sitting in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom