Virtual Reality from Scratch

readysetmosh

Beta member
Hey guys

I recently developed a super easy way to get "virtual reality" in your living room for either cheap or no money at all.

Here is what I used:

-My HTC Evo 4G LTE android phone
-iDisplay; which is an app that basically makes you able to use your android as another monitor for your computer
-GlovePie
-2 WiiMotes
-Wii Nunchuck
-Wii Motion Plus
-Cardboard box
-Masking Tape
-USB Bluetooth adapter
-Wii Zapper (A gun shaped adapter that holds both a nunchuck, and a wii remote)
-Half Life 2

To start off, I got a head sized cardboard box and taped one wiimote with the motion plus to the top. Then, I cut a hole in the front of the box big enough for my phone screen to be visible through. Next, I put the nunchuck and other wiimote into the wii zapper. I proceeded to connect all of the wii remotes to my PC via bluetooth. Using GlovePie, I made a script which made the wii remote that was on top of the box emulate the mouse. I set the wii remote and nunchuck that were inside of the zapper to control the WASD buttons, and the other buttons required to play Half Life 2. Using iDisplay, I was able to view Half Life on my phone. I placed it in the hole I made in the box at about eye level. When playing the game while running the GlovePie script, and wearing the box on my head (it sounds dumb, I know), I was able to get a pretty good virtual reality experience. The wiimote on my head enabled me to look around the game. The wii zapper allowed me to jump (by flinging it up), move around (using the joystick on the nunchuck), switch weapons, do other basic actions (using the wiimote on the zapper), and ultimately play the game pretty easily. I'm hoping I can figure out how to incorporate the Kinect into the game (tracking jumping, crouching, running, etc) and make a homemade omnidirectional treadmill. I'll post the glovepie script if you guys want (I didn't make the whole thing, some of it is derived from lednerg's motion plus mouse script). If you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions, just reply to this post! Cheers!

PNYRZ.gif

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

Yeah, but this is basically free. I built this instead of buying that, smart one. :lol:

To be honest, I don't know if you're trolling or not. Your list of hardware is a bit ridiculous. And I have to imagine if I saw pictures of the setup it would look even more ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom