Virtual Memory Low

Status
Not open for further replies.

RitaM

Beta member
It has been a while since I have been really into the hardware (or even software aspect) of computer technology, and unfortunately I am having what seem to be some hardware related issues. As of about a week ago, my computer has been running extremely slow at times, especially in the morning when I get on and it has been left on all night. It has also been giving me a windows error that says my "virtual memory is running low" and that "windows is adjusting it now," etc. Well whatever windows did doesn't seem to be working because I am getting the message increasingly more often. After the message pops up, I get a few "Progrom not responding" prompts from various programs and the computer locks up and I must reset using button. What little info I knew regarding memory types and computer hardware in general is now lost, and I call on you guys for help. Thanks a lot, and here are my specs:

- ASUS K8 Triton Series, nForce3
- AMD Athlon 64 3500+
- Seagate 80gb HD @7200rpm (about 89% full)
- Kingston ValueRam: PC2700, 512gb x 2
- ATI Radeon 9800Pro

Things I plan to try tonight:

- Complete defrag
- Full system scan (anti-virus, spyware)
- System clean-up

right click my computer>>advanced tab>>performance settings>>advanced tab>>virtual memory change

the max is 4096 which is 4 gigs of virtual memory which will increase system performance. some people like to make it around 2 gigs but if you have the space set it to the max and you will never see the error again.

add more ram the virtual memory is reserved space for the hdd to act as ram so buy more ram and put it up and u will neva see the message again also if u download memturbo it will clean your ram when you get low automatically which will make your computer run loads faster. you might want to start looking into building a new pc your system is getting a lil old.

Matt

virtual memory does not act like ram. it does not take the place of ram, and you can run 8 gigs of ram and still have an error of low virtual memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom