very important and urgent midi questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

t wrex

Beta member
Hi guys I'm T wrex, an up and coming rapper. I need some help..

I have 4 things:
1. a musical keyboard with midi outputs/inputs
2. a computer (+a mic)
3. a freeware audio editing program called "audacity"
4. a couple hundred dollars

my question is:
what extra cables/special soundcards/jacks/ports/shishkabobs woulld I need in order to record sounds from my keyboard and my TV/stereo on to my PC??

also...
is anyone here familiar with audacity? when I try to import audio files on it the program tells me it needs to be compressed and I tried all audio types and it still wouldn't let me do it. the only files it let me use was songs that were sent to me using AIM and files I downloaded off purevolume.com.

any help at all would be appreciated

Re:

Hello,

In order to connect your keyboard to your PC, you can go about it two ways:

1. Purchase a USB to MIDI cable. You'll need a free USB port on the PC. The two DIN input and output plugs go into the sockets of your keyboard.

2. Purchase a Gameport/Joystick to MIDI cable. You'll need a soundcard with an available gameport/joystick port. The two DIN input and output plugs go into the sockets of your keyboard.

A better illustration is available here: http://www.voyetra.com/site/kb_ftp/2803013.asp .

Your soundcard will need to be able to process MIDI data (nearly all soundcards can anyways).

In order to compose and create professional musical scores using a MIDI keyboard, you'll need a program capable of processing MIDI data, such as Anvil Studio - a relliable MIDI editor with enhanced features.

As for the audacity thingy, I have no idea. What types of audio files do you try to import when the error message appears?

i download a tune off kazaa, then it comes to Itunes. Ive tried several different types (mp3's and what not..) it says it can't read it and "if its uncompressed, try import raw data option". So I do that, and it makes me guess the exact type. Im sorry but I don't know if its a 35ccbirls.th or a 49..ocke55 and what not.. I bet you'd be able to help me with that if you saw it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom