Using VMWare for SUSE problems

mwwwilson

In Runtime
I am currently using VMWare for a SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 virtual machine for school labs. All other students have not experienced the following problems. So I am wondering if the OS on the provided CD is messed up or something. I have tried this on my school lab computer and at home on my own computer. I'm getting the same results and it is putting me behind on school lab work.
Here is what is going on.

After I install, the OS boots fine. I cannot click any icons on the desktop (Home folder & Trash folder). I can however click on anything outside of the desktop (Computer button, Taskbar buttons). So to open the Nautilis I have to click on the Computer button in the lower left on the Taskbar. I cannot click the Home folder icon on the Desktop. It is as if the icons are just part of the Desktop image and not dynamic. But, I can click and drag the mouse causing a selection area and if an icon is in that selection area it will highlight. However, I cannot left click or right click on the icon after it is highlighted to initiate any type of menu or open function.

So I use the Computer button in the lower left of the screen and open Nautilis. Once opened, I can select anything inside of the panels/windows. However, now I cannot click on anything outside of those panels/windows. For example, the top pull downs... FILE, EDIT, VIEW. If I right click inside of the window and create a new folder from the right click menu, Left click in white space and drag a selection window over that folder (which highlights it) and press the DELETE button on my keyboard - it deletes and than gives me full functionality to the top pull down menus. But I than cannot select anything inside the panels/windows.

Does this sound like an OS problem or a problem with VMWare. Or a combo of both. Using VMWare to visualize this specific OS? Like I said, nobody else in class has had problems. We are all using VMWare and following instructions in our books. The only thing that is varied is the OS comes from a disk that was a part of the book. Therefore, we all have our own disks with SUSE. Is it possible that my disk has a problem version of SUSE?

This is doing the same thing at both locations - school computer and home computer.

Any suggestions?

Easiest way to find out would be to try a different VM app (such as VirtualBox) and/or borrow a known working disc from a classmate.

I'm attempting a downloaded version from the SUSE website now. I will update after it has completed. Thanks

It was the OS on the disc that I got with my book. The download .iso file worked perfectly. Very weird. It wasn't VMWare because that's what I'm still using. Just something off with the OS.

Back
Top Bottom