USB Drive write protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Was wondering if anybody knew any good USB Write protection programs that you are able to put on a USB drive to prevent unwanted write access. Basically it needs to be totally portable (used on a flash drive), and deny write access but still allow read access.

Tried searching up google a bit at work, and all that I could find was shareware stuff, nothing that was really good freeware that I saw. Am planning on using this on a flash drive at work, so when I work on infected machines, I won't compromise the flash drive when I have to get AV programs off of it to install on the infected machine.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Carnage,

I was interested in looking to see if I could find anything, because I never thought much about a USB write-protection program. I would have, the first time that I needed one... Seemed like a good idea to research on so I did some searching and found this link:

Thumbscrew: Software USB Write Blocker

The author of the program doesn not guarantee 100% results, but it appears to be a free program. No mention of cost anyway. Good luck in your search, Carnage.

After some more searching, (and re-reading your dilemma), I realized that:

1) You are looking for a PORTABLE program - sorry, I missed that before.

2) Most stuff I found mentioned USB drives with an actual switch on the drive. Maybe that is an option for you ?

Sadly a switch isn't an option on the drive (this was the first thing I looked for), as its a SanDisk Cruzer Micro that I have at work for this task. I did manage to find one program..but it blocks access to all USB media, even after you unplug the drive (have to re-run the program/set it to enable writing again). Thanks for the help, oldskool, appreciate it.

It's funny, but I use a flash drive at school all the time, and it never occurred to me to write-protect it ! LOL Luckily I haven't overwritten anything to date...*knock on wood* LOL

I use a flash drive at school/home/work all the time too lol. I just wanted to write-protect this one drive, to prevent a potentially-infected machine from spreading it onto other machines around work when the drive gets plugged in there, if it were to get infected (have seen viruses do this before).

Already have the drive (not my drive, its our drive at the store). Don't know if they'd be willing to take down an SDHC card off of inventory just for this one purpose, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom