Upgrading Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 while getting new CPU and mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What some not so legal methods? No my copy is still legit on my end, it obviously is if I am using windows 10 on the side and got no grief by registering it.
I think it just did the same trick I did for windows in virtualbox, treated my licence as a virtualbox install, the copy is still legal, the licence is still legal but treated as another device (sort of)

What some not so legal methods? No my copy is still legit on my end, it obviously is if I am using windows 10 on the side and got no grief by registering it.
I think it just did the same trick I did for windows in virtualbox, treated my licence as a virtualbox install, the copy is still legal, the licence is still legal but treated as another device (sort of)

It's still ILLEGAL to do so as it's violates the license agreement / ToS for Windows. That's my point. Just because there's a loophole for transferring an OEM license to another system doesn't make it legal.

The system you install an OEM license onto is LEGALLY tied to that system. If you replace want to switch to a new system or replace the motherboard (with a board that's not the same/comparable), then you LEGALLY have to buy a new license - if you don't want that, then buy a Retail license and you can transfer to your heart's content as long as it's only active on 1 system at a time.

Going to go ahead and lock this thread since I feel it's just going to become a crapfest.

@OP: Buy a new license if you want to upgrade your system's board / transfer to a new system. If you don't want to do that, then switch to Linux where there is no licensing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom