Ubuntu and xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke87

In Runtime
Alright, I just installed ubuntu 6.06(my first linux os) on my computer, and i am dual booting xp and ubuntu. My problem is that I can not access my other hard drives to retrive files such as my music when i am in ubuntu. i have linux, and windows on a seperate partition on one drive, and then have a secondary drive that is just for storage. I can't seem to acces my second hdd though. Is there something that i need to do in windows or is it something in linux. I am assuming it is windows as thier is a locked symbol nest to my second hd.

linux can not see windows formated hard drives and the files would be unusable since they are in windows format and not in a linux format. just like you cant run a windows program on a mac or play a wmp file on your ipod, you cant run a windows program in linux.

Actually you can, Linux is able to read (and often write) drives that have been formatted by windows. My guess is it has something to do with the fstab file, but I have little experience with this so I will wait for someone more knowledgeable to post on this one :) Is the secondary drive formatted as FAT or NTFS?

Files can be easily read, but running windows programs under Linux is another thing. Playing his music should be no problem once he gets this sorted out.

well it is ntfs, i have another seperate partiton that is fat32. yeah all that is on this hdd at the moment is downloaded execs and music

thats interesting cuz when i used red hat and dual booted it with xp it acted like it was in a world of its own. i formated it with a vfat and ext3 and those where the only 2 partitions id see, never saw my fat32 i had at the time.

Most or even all can read NTFS right out of the box, it's just a matter of mounting it or using fstab to mount it automatically during every boot.

*EDIT*
Same thing with FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom