Two Firefox browser cache tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Firefox is running fine for most users with the default settings. Advanced users however can tweak an immense amount of settings in Firefox to make it more effective and suitable for their special needs. This is one of the main reasons for creating this blog. I wanted to create a place where I could write about the tweaks and tips that work for me to let other Firefox users know about them and try them out for themselves.
Today I'm writing about two Firefox browser cache tweaks, one dealing with the memory cache and one with the hard drive cache. My partition on C with Windows XP has a size of only 10 Gigabytes which is not much. I did install Firefox on that drive as well and was looking for ways to store temporary files on a different drive.
The Firefox hard drive cache stores a lot of temporary files and i decided to move it to another hard drive. This was not the only reason though. I'm using an encrypted hard drive for all my temporary files and wanted to move the cache to that drive for privacy reasons as well.
Both settings can be changed by typing in about:config in the Firefox address bar and filtering for the strings:
browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
If that string is not existing create it by right-clicking a blank space in the configuration and select New > String from the menu. Enter browser.cache.disk.parent_directory in the first form and the path to the directory that should store the files, for example d:\temp
browser.cache.memory.capacity
This is the setting for the memory cache, the Ram that Firefox uses to operate. The default value is -1 which means that Firefox uses RAM dynamically. You can change that value to 0 if you want to disable the memory cache (not adviced) or a Kilobyte value, for example 8096 if you want to set it to 8 Megabytes.

Two Firefox browser cache tweaks - www.Tech-Dump.com

I'm using an encrypted hard drive for all my temporary files and wanted to move the cache to that drive for privacy reasons as well.

This statement jumped out on me. It seems like a good idea to store temporary files on an encrypted drive, and I was wondering how exactly you would go about doing this.

An encrypted drive isn't what I'm looking for as much as I am an encrypted partition on the same drive. What would be the best way to encrypt a partition?

Truecrypt can encrypt partitions, would that really be the best way to go? I heard Windows has some built-in method that might be more convinient. I would rather not have to type in a Truecrypt password every time I log in. I'm really interested in Window's built-in method if anyone can tell me about it... and about how secure it really is.

Also, does anyone else know of other programs that have temporary files that would benefit from being put on an encrypted partition?

Edit: Well, looking stuff up online and using common sense, the built in enryption is only as strong as the user's password is secure. Looking at the huge list of methods of recovering Windows passwords in the forum above this one, I think I'll just use Truecrypt.

So I guess only my last question applies. Does anyone else know of other programs that have temporary files that would benefit from being put on an encrypted partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom