Trying to figure out why my roomate gets 3x the D/L speed that I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

G.I.Jared

Beta member
My problem:
I have a highspeed cable ISP, supposedly rated for up to 15MB/S, a wireless N router that my roommate and I are both connected to. He gets bittorrent transfer rates of 1.6-2 mb/s and I get stuck with 300 kb/s. On speedtest.net he sees estimated d/l rates of 10mb/s and I get 3mb/s... where do I begin to troubleshoot this?

Details:
Our cable runs to the modem, and a cat5 from that to our Belkin 802.11N wireless router. We didn't modify the router or specify network priorities or mess with any of the factory settings, we just plugged it in and ran with it.

I've got a self built desktop, running XP64, a Belkin wireless N USB adapter. I use windows built in utility to manage my wireless connections because I thought the belkin software was buggy garbage. I have full signal, supposedly a transfer speed of 65MB/s

He has a Toshiba Satellite laptop with built in 802.11g and windows vista. He has full signal strength his computer says he has a transfer speed of 48MB/s

I installed a program called Networx to see if anything was hogging my computers bandwidth, I see ambient bandwidth usage of 3 or 4 kb/s mostly due to programs like steam and what not.

I can track down more specific info like model numbers for the individual pieces of networking hardware etc. but I think that's most of the pertinent details.

I just don't know why I'm getting the short end of the stick between the two of us.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'd be terribly grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Try updating the drivers for your wireless adapter.
Also, if possible, connect to the router with an ethernet cable and test your speed. That way we'll be able to narrow down whether the problem is indeed with your wireless adapter or some other fault.

Try disable N on your Belkin USB it seems that Toshiba G WiFi is mucha better then your Belkin N USB dongle.
This shows that N WiFi is not a winning solution all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom