Trouble connecting to the internet w/ wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfaSub

Beta member
I have a Compaq computer w/ Windows XP (SP2) and a Linksys PCI wireless card. For about five months I could access the internet through my Linksys wireless router fine, but recently I can't connect to the Internet through my desktop at all. The computer can connect to the router (I can ping it and see its configuration page), and the router's configuration page also says that it is connected to the internet. The computer just can't access any webpages (google, yahoo, etc.)

The problem seems isolated to my desktop. Every other computer can connect to the internet w/o any problem. The computer just seems to have trouble w/ the DNS server. When I try to ping google.com, I get a "could not find host" error, but I can ping its IP succesfully. I tried typing "nslookup www.google.com", and got an error saying "can't find server name for address a.b.c.d".

The FAQ for nslookup says this problem only occurs if the DNS system service is down or if there are connection problems. I've checked to make sure the service is running, and I can ping the DNS fine. I just can't resolve any addresses with it.

I've tried just about everything I can think of (ipconfig/flushdns, ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew), but nothing solves this problem. I'm really reaching the end of my rope here as I've been working on this problem for several days with no success. I've tried googling and everything, but can't seem to find a solution that works. Hopefully you guys can think of something that I missed.

Thanks in advance

Things to try...

Try unplugging the main cable or dsl modem (not the wireless router)... Let it sit 5 min... Plug it back in and then try to reconnect on your wireless computer... CHECK to see if its working......... If not, then unplug the wireless router this time (leave modem alone) and let it sit 5 min and then plug it back in.......... Sometimes the modem/router just needs to be reset...

Try disabling any virus software and/or firewalls and then attempt to connect... If you do, you found your problem...

Try running adaware and virus software to make sure your computer is clean of things that could be causing a problem with your connection....

Try making sure you didn't block the internet in your firewall or virus software...

Try turning down the security level in your browser....

Try going to RUN and type CMD... That'll bring up dos (C: prompt) .... type:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

That sometimes helps me if i'm having connection problems... Not sure if it'll help in this scenario though...

Hope one of those works for you... Could be a million things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom