Toshiba Laptop Harddrive Failing: How to Clone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodNews101

In Runtime
I apologize if this should be under another forum but I figured since this issue is a Laptop one this forum is the best option.

I was given an old Toshiba Tecra S1 laptop this past August. It was a company laptop from my sister's work (she was given it one and a half years ago so it is at least 6 years old) and so I didn't expect much but after cleaning up the system, upgrading to SP2 (why they never did this upgrade I can't tell you), adding RAM, etc., it has been running quite well and does what I need it to do.

Yesterday I ran a harddrive diagnostics by utilizing Seagate Tools for a routine maintenance session.

1. It passed both the S.M.A.R.T and the Short DST tests twice.

2. It failed the Long DST test twice.

This means its time to get a new harddrive. The thing is that it runs Windows XP with SP2 but I don't have the OS disk. I do however have the Product Key #. I realize I need cloning software in order to transfer from the old harddrive to the new but this is where I get lost. So here are my novice questions.

1. Where do I load the Cloning software to: The current laptop harddrive or the new one?

2. Do I need to get an external housing to place my new harddrive in in order to clone the OS, etc.?

3. How does one transfer? Will a USB connection work?

4. Any good free cloning software that is simple to use?

Thanks.

If it is a laptop from a company, they should be responsible for these types of things. It should be up to their IT department to take care of such things. Not left in the hands of someone else who is not associated with the company.

She needs to tell her company that the hard drive is failing and they can decide what to do. She shouldn't have to spend monye out of her pocket to replace the hard drive.

If it is a laptop from a company, they should be responsible for these types of things. It should be up to their IT department to take care of such things. Not left in the hands of someone else who is not associated with the company.

She needs to tell her company that the hard drive is failing and they can decide what to do. She shouldn't have to spend monye out of her pocket to replace the hard drive.

It seems I need to be more clear about this laptop. The company she worked for over a year and a-half ago were getting rid of their older company laptops. They were just giving them away and replacing with newer models. It basically sat in her closet though she added her name and her daughter's name to a number of other administrative names that neither she or I know.

In other words, this laptop was used by a number of company employees of who created their own account but never cleaned it up once they passed it on. Someone upgraded this system with a Teac DVD/CD-RW drive, but otherwise it has its original 40 gig HD, 1.4GHz Centrino processor, and 512megs of PC2100 RAM. They never updated Windows XP Pro to SP2.

So when she gave it to me I wasn't expecting much. I deleted all accounts and outdated software, defragged and diagnosed the harddrive, checked out all connections including USB, added an antivirus, added two Gigs of Kingston memory etc.

Suprisingly it has run flawlessly and does all that I need it to do, but as I said in my first post the HD has failed the Long DST twice which means I need to get a new harddrive. The thing is I don't have the original XP Pro disk but I do have the Product Key.

I don't want to lose my information nor can I afford buying another copy of Windows XP, thus my inquiry on cloning my laptop's harddrive content to another new HD. I have never done this before. I have no experience or knowledge as my previous questions blaringly show.

I can get a Seagate HD for this laptop for $50 + but I wouldn't know the first thing on how to transfer my contents to the new one.

Thanks for reading this.

CloneZilla. That is the best freeware solution you will find. Other than that it is paid solutions like Norton Ghost and Acrnois True Image.

the only application that I know of that will let you clone to an usb enclosure and still work and boot when you put it back as ide is Ez Gig II which is really acronis in disguise.

cloning or install an os to a usb hard drive then putting it back in an ide slot won't work in most instances as those are 2 different structures. the above software does something to make stay as ide

now you can backup an image up to an extra external usb hdd if you have one, then put your blank new drive in the laptop and then restore your old image from that usb hdd and it will work as that is not cloning

well, with all of that said, why don't you get magic jelly bean

Magical Jelly Bean Software - Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1

to retreive your windows info like it's serial, get you an xp cd from a torrent if you don't have one (get the right version. that toshiba is probably an xp home oem disc), follow this guide for backing up drivers

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-save-restore-drivers-rather-easily-194057/

and do a fresh install. that way all of that info that cluttering up that old pc is gone and it will move even faster

ErikB, taking your lead what do you think of this product?

Apricorn Products

It seems simple enough and certainly won't break the bank. I can get it at ZipZoomFle for $32 + a $10 MIR (which I won't hold my breath on). ZZF is $17 less than NewEgg without the MIR.

Just wanted to give an update. Instead of purchasing Apricorn's EZ Upgrade Universal Hard Drive Upgrade Kit which is limited to 2.5" harddrives I instead went with their Drivewire Universal Hard Drive Adapter Kit. It does both 2.5" and 3.5" PATA/SATA so I figured why not since I help others with their PC/laptop issues.

Anyway, from the time I set up to fully cloning my failing 40 gig Hitachi 4200 to my new Seagate 120 gig harddrive it took no more than 10 to 15 minutes tops. And the new HD booted up the very first time and the transfer/cloning was perfect. It was easy and this software does a lot more than just clone. It is also extremely well packaged.

Thanks to all who replied and special kudos to EricB who told me about EZ Gig II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom