Toms' review of AMD's Phenom II X4 955.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Nothing too surprising here. When it comes to gaming, the difference between any of the quad cores tested is null-tenth of a frame a second @ 1680x1050 and higher. The 955 competes really well with the Q9550.

Here's part of the summary of the article-

"We're still not looking at a Core i7-killer (or even competitor) here. After all, AMD's fastest offering isn't able to match even the slowest i7 chip, unless you count gaming, where most of these quad-core chips perform so similarly that it isn't worth factoring in the tenths of a frame.

Rather, AMD was gunning for Intel's Core 2 Quad Q9550. That actually turns out to be a significant target, too. Aside from the DP-capable Core 2 Extreme QX9775—a $1,500 part—there is only one other Core 2 Quad left for AMD to usurp: the 3 GHz Core 2 Quad Q9650. Performance-wise, this means the Phenom II X4 955 is still an upper mid-range processor, dolled up with an unlocked clock multiplier and a platform message that bests the Core 2 Quad lineup (thanks to a strong software infrastructure supporting tweak-happy enthusiasts), yet falls short of Core i7 and its superior CrossFire/SLI ecosystem. "

It goes on to say this-

"But a Core i7 920 plus X58-based motherboard plus 6 GB DDR3-1333 kit costs about $100 more—that's tantalizingly close, and frankly still the route we'd go given the many instances where even the 2.66 GHz processor simply walks the rest of the pack."

Phenom II X4 955: AMD's Dragon Platform Evolves : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom