Tips on where to go

nightelf

Baseband Member
Heya, 17 years old here just looking for some tips. I know it's a super popular field of degree. I want a degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science and i want a career in repair, troubleshooting, building or designing computer hardware. I was hoping i could inquire here and receive some helpful information...maybe some professionals post here? Mostly just looking for some tips. I plan on attending Harvey Mudd Uni in Pasadena for Computer Science with my buddy but if there's any tips anyone can offer me such as classes, part time jobs to look for, experience to work on, extra curriculars i can work on right now in highschool i would so appreciate it i'm a junior at the moment. Thank you in advance!

Computer science is not the field you're interested in. Computer engineering or electrical engineering is what you're after based on your stated career goals.

You can always contact an IT company you might be interested in working for and asking them if they might be interested in a summer program or allowing you do to some volunteer work because you are interested in the field.

You can always put up ads in collecting old computers for repairs or parts and you can give them back to family's or organizations that might not have the money to get more.

You can always contact an IT company you might be interested in working for and asking them if they might be interested in a summer program or allowing you do to some volunteer work because you are interested in the field.

You can always put up ads in collecting old computers for repairs or parts and you can give them back to family's or organizations that might not have the money to get more.

Hey i actually really like that idea, thanks! What a great idea!

Many times if you look on facebook you can find volunteer groups in your area and it is possible someone has already started who is collecting old computers and donating them again. This way you can contact them and offer your services.

Craigslist could be a good place to look locally as well.

As the others have said though, CS isn't really what you're looking for. CS is geared more towards programming (I'm a senior in my CS program towards my BS). Computer Engineering / Electrical Engineering is more what you would look for if you're wanting to design / build the actual circuitry.

Start getting experience as soon as you can. If you can't find a job that pays, look into internships and volunteer work. In my area there's a non-profit that refurbishes old computers to give to disadvantaged kids, and a lot of students volunteer there to get experience - just to give you an idea. These days even a lot of entry level positions want experience.

Back
Top Bottom