Strange redirect when trying to access cnn.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogite

Baseband Member
When I try to go to cnn.com I get redirected to mtnl.com.
I deleted all cookies on this PC but problem still exists.
I know it is not a problem with cnn as other PCs here access it just fine.

What caused this and how can I remedy the situation?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide assistance.

Mark in San Diego

Ok, i'll try that, but I just discovered that it is not just the one PC that is doing it. It seems to be happening to all the PC's on the network and i've gotten reports that it is more than just cnn.com that is effected though I havn't confirmed that yet. I work for a hotel here and it was the PC in my Engineering office that I first found the issue on, but as I sit here typing this on one of our business cntr PC's I can confirm that both bus cntr PC's are effected and I was just told by a guest that he experienced the same thing in his suite awhile ago.

Could a browser hijack program effect multiple PC's on a network like this? and could it only effect one or a few sites but other sites work fine?

on hold with at&t(our isp) tech support now. called guesttek(internet tech support) first and tech there said it was an isp issue and that they couldn't help me though he said what i described sounded like a case of dns poisoning to him. i have no clue as to what that is but he said it would be an issue on the isp side.

so at&t tech said it was something on our system and told me to isolate a pc on the system by using t cross conect cable to hook a laptop to the cisco 1700 router in our pbx room. unfortunatly i have neither a laptop avail nor a cross conect cable so now i'm pressing guesttek to get someone onsite.

If you can access your router, check your DNS settings. Odds are someone has changed them. Be sure to change the name and password!

I use OpenDNS (see signature). It is free, and is available for everyone from home users through corporate levels. You could even choose to filter the content through OpenDNS if you choose to do so.

Aside from what Trotter said. Yes a browser hijack can affect a netowrk. Depending on what type of hijack it is. Some are viruses or worse. Some are just simple spyware. Once they gain access they can move all over a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom