Steps for selling a PC system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
I have a buyer for my computer system. What are some necessary steps for selling it?

From the top of my head I just have to reformat the computer and its good to go? What are some software that will hard-clean the hard drive to prevent snoopers and such? My data is not really that sensitive but it would be good if the person doesn't fully recover my tracks and stuff.

Thanks.

Killdisk, DBAN, several others will do a good job of drive clearing, since they write 0's to the entire drive, and then format it.

Boot Nuke.

Then make sure you receive payment before giving them your computer - or have some type of downpayment.

I have a buyer for my computer system. What are some necessary steps for selling it?

From the top of my head I just have to reformat the computer and its good to go? What are some software that will hard-clean the hard drive to prevent snoopers and such? My data is not really that sensitive but it would be good if the person doesn't fully recover my tracks and stuff.

Thanks.

KillDisk and Boot n' Nuke are good ones...

How exactly do I use killdisk?

I'm planning on burning the image into a DVD (I dont have any cds) and then destroying both my partitions. AFter that I plan to install Windows XP.

Isn't it if your destroy my boot drive or something, it will destroy my BIOS and therefore I wont be able to install anything? What exactly is the correct steps to do what I want?

Someone guide me through deleting harddrive then installing the windows xp system successfuly

No, that's not how it works. Your BIOS is on the motherboard itself, on a separate chip. Killdisk does not touch this. You have to burn the ISO image to a CD (or in your case, a DVD), and boot off of it. Then you pick your drive(s) that you want to wipe, and wipe it. After it's done, you can insert your XP CD, and boot off of that, and install XP like you would normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom