Slow internet speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Aelwen

Beta member
I've been using Windows Me for three years and it stinks because it's a bad computer and it's slow, which makes my dial-up modem, internet, even slower. I tried cleaning my computer and get rid of as much spyware, adware, and virus as I can but nothing works.

Do you know if there's any program that I can download to improve my computer speed and performance?

Lady Aelwen,

First off, you should realize that Win ME is a real sucker of a OS - it was a total putz when MS released it and it still is today!. LOL. More specifically I should say it's performance is so poor than when i got it i thought it was much worse than Win98.

Network speed/performance can fluctuate from time to time depending upon the amount of traffic. But it sounds like to me you just got a real old system or it's totally bogged down with a lot of applications you might no longer need.

If you can't upgrade it to W2K or XP, I would consider either installing as much RAM as your MB can handle. Otherwise, i would clean format your hdd and re-isntall the OS. If you do that, make sure you save all your personal data first and D/L all your drivers first before you do that.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :)

i agree. your best bet would be to clean format the hard drive. if you don't want to do that, definitely remove any programs you don't use anymore and get you a spyware removal tool (ad-aware:) ). certain spyware is known to slow down your connection speed.

Thanks!
I really appreciate all your help. :) It sucks that I got Windows Me in the first place. I really didn't know much about computers. Anyways, I'm looking forward to staying here and I think I like it already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom