Slow CD ripping speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumone

Baseband Member
For some reason whenever I try to play a music CD or rip one using EAC, Nero DriveSpeed tells me that the speed is 8x. My drive can read 40x. When I load the CD, speed is 40x. Once I hit the play button, it falls back to 8x. What governs this fallback? My current 'test' CD is a brand new one from Best Buy, with no visible signs of scratches/marks.

I've had the same problem...with Nero. I tried almost everything, excluding reinstalling the OS. After that...I gave up and just tried different programs, primarily my favorite dBpowerAmp, to rip CDs, and there has not had a problem since.

I highly recommend dBpowerAmp to rip CDs...it rips in the LAME format, up to the 44Hz @ 320 kbps. :)

sumone said:
For some reason whenever I try to play a music CD or rip one using EAC, Nero DriveSpeed tells me that the speed is 8x. My drive can read 40x. When I load the CD, speed is 40x. Once I hit the play button, it falls back to 8x. What governs this fallback? My current 'test' CD is a brand new one from Best Buy, with no visible signs of scratches/marks.
The "fallback" is most likely caused by the buffer for the encoder. Just because the drive can read at 40x, doesn't mean the data can be pulled and converted at that speed. There may also be a built-in limit on the encoding speed. Also, the limit may be in place based on some kind of setting you have set, such as extra sampling, error checking/correcting, etc.

Xula said:
I've had the same problem...with Nero. I tried almost everything, excluding reinstalling the OS. After that...I gave up and just tried different programs, primarily my favorite dBpowerAmp, to rip CDs, and there has not had a problem since.

You know what the funny thing is...

I've upgraded my mobo...
I've upgraded the processor (to amd64)
I've upgraded the power supply
I've upgraded my hard drive
...Of course I've had to do a clean install of XP

...and I still have the problem; must be a software problem, correct?

I highly recommend dBpowerAmp to rip CDs...it rips in the LAME format, up to the 44Hz @ 320 kbps.

I'm more concerned about getting the data off the CD. I encode to FLAC. EAC is the most reputable ripper based on it's secure mode. Even though the drive speed is at 8x, the real extraction rate is about 2.5x (since it rereads data and verifies they both are similar).

The "fallback" is most likely caused by the buffer for the encoder. Just because the drive can read at 40x, doesn't mean the data can be pulled and converted at that speed. There may also be a built-in limit on the encoding speed. Also, the limit may be in place based on some kind of setting you have set, such as extra sampling, error checking/correcting, etc.

Hmm...are you familiar with EAC?

talldude123 said:
rip the cd using Windows Media Player. It rips at the full speed of your drive, at no charge.

I'm not really willing to change my program. EAC is the most powerful, configurable, and accurate ripper that I've encountered. There's a reason it's called "Exact Audio Copy". No other rippers out there do what it does.

I'm not saying all other programs are inferior, or maybe I am, but as far as getting an accurate rip, EAC wins. On an entirely clean CD, most programs out there will do, but EAC makes sure it got what's on the CD & if it didn't it tells you.

It's understood that using EAC in general cuts your ripping speed in half at minimum, since it rereads data. However, when all of a sudden the max speed is 8x, that severely extends the length of time (and in my experience [with this particular drive I have], I have also found that at slower speeds, the drive is not as accurate as it is at higher speeds; odd, but true).

I was hoping someone could refer me to some type of CD/DVD drive monitoring tool that enables me to see what speed the drive is currently at, and why it was set. For example, if I looked at a log file and saw, "Program ASDF set max drive speed to 8x" or another saying "Drive has set max speed to 8x due to dirty surface", that would be extremely helpful. Nero DriveSpeed/DVD Speed does not do that, to my knowledge.

you need to see if dma is enable on your secondary ide drivers. uninstall them and reboot the computer if they are not

DMA mode 5...first thing I looked into (trying to see if I was in Programmed I/O).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom