Shared drive with Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro2a

In Runtime
I'm having issues detecting my shared drive with my wife's new PC which has Windows 7. I had it custom built on IBUYPOWER and I really wish I could have had them install Vista, but Win 7 was the only option they had available. I have a 1TB external hooked to my primary PC and have successfully shared it with all other PC's in the house (With Vista and XP), and each of those PC's can open up that shared drive and copy, paste and edit files. Anyway we have 4 desktops and 2 laptops. 3 desktops are hardwired into the wireless router in our office, and the 4th desktop upstairs in my daughters room has a wireless USB card.

My primary PC runs a dual boot XP/Vista <-- The shared drive is an external 1TB connected to my primary PC.
My secondary PC runs XP
My wife's laptop runs Vista
My laptop runs XP
My daughters desktop runs XP
My wife's new desktop we just bought a month ago runs Windows 7.

I for the life of me can not get her system to detect the shared drive. I had no problem doing it with any of the Vista or XP systems, but Windows 7 seems to have made it difficult to detect. I have no issue with finding it on XP or Vista systems, it's just Windows 7. Does anyone have any pointers on how to find in in Windows 7?

The setup should be exactly the same as it was in Vista. The networking aspect only changed to add in HomeGroups. That wouldnt have this affect on your network. So make sure you have shared files checked, and the same names and such. Make sure all of the same settings you have on the Vista machines is that way in the Win7 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom