Setup wifi laptop as access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiLiCatLet

Baseband Member
Dear all,

I tried to search the forum and not really getting what I wanted, the closest thing is this thread ([converting a laptop into an access point] -) but not really on topic.
Also my english is not my first language, please bear with me.

My aim is to setup my laptop which connects to adsl connection (using a ethernet cable to a ethernet/USB 2 ports modem) as a wifi hotspot around my house (for my phone and PSP).

I followed a few guides around youtube and the web, but there are slight different options to what I am getting.
YouTube - Laptop as Access Point For Use With A PSP 1of2
YouTube - Make My Laptop be an Access Point
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

Some details on my computers.
My laptop is custom downgraded to XP home from vista home, it has a intel(R) 5100 AGN and connects to adsl with a ethernet cable. I am using a modem that have 1 usb port and 1 ethernet port. The usb port is connected to my old desktop which other family members uses for internet.

On my laptop, I basically follow the guide:
I set "Local Area Connection" to "allow other network users to connect throught this computer's internet connection"
My bluetooth modem and "Local Area Connection 2" of bluetooth lan access server are both disable.
The "Wireless network connection" as set to "computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only". Under "preferred network" only has 1 network on "share" authentication and WEP data encryption with my choosen SSID.

I enable my ADSL LAC and Wireless network connection. The Wireless network connection is shown as "not connected" (on the Network connection window), but under "choose a wireless network" pop-up windows say "You are currently connected to this network"
Then I try find my laptop access point using my PSP and phone wifi. They both don't pick up my laptop.

I wonder if I done anything wrong or any setting I should look into for the setup (especially configuration on 5100 agn).

Thanks in advance,
KiLiCatLet

I tried to right click the "wireless network connection" icon>properties>advanced tab> there's only option for "windows firewall" but no checkbox for "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection"

Am I going something wrong?
Thanks >.<

Edit:
I try the method on this page again XP ICS - Server Setup Using the Network Setup Wizard
But it seem it's not doing anything.

Edit 2:
My Local Area Connection for the adsl is connected and it's on Shared (the icon have a hand on it), is this connect?
Or I need the Shared option on the "wireless network connection"?
Because I cannot enable "shared" on both "wireless network connection" and "local area connection".

set up the sharing on the wireless connection.

I tried to put the "shared" on "Wireless Network Connection". My phone and PSP both didn't pick up. The "Wireless Network Connection" still say "not connected" but connected to the network.

Thanks for the guides.

I basically did what it say on here ICS Host Computer Setup in Windows XP
there's 2 thing that catch my attention and I don't really understands it.

1. Note: You should not use this ICS feature in a network with other domain controllers, DNS servers and DHCP servers. Those servers would affect the Internet Connection Sharing from working properly.
How can you tell if my network have other domain controllers, DNS servers and DHCP servers?

2. 7) After enabling ICS feature, the network card connected to the home network would be assigned a static IP address 192.168.0.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0. The ICS host will act as a DHCP server assigning other IP addresses in the 192.168.0.x/24 range to other client computers.
Does the static IP refer to the "local area connection" IP or the IP of the "wireless network connection"?
When I check the IP of my "local area connection" (the one that connects me to my modem, it have
Address type: Assigned by DHCP
IP address: 192.168.1.3
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom