setting up VNC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomic tofu

Fully Optimized
hey folks, simple question...
on the vnc site are 2 pdf files for setting up the viewer and server...do you think that is the easiest and clearest instruction set to follow or perhaps there is actually a much simpler and easier to understand user made install guide out there?

if ya know any, please post.

thx

relative in another country, not computer savy :)
I do know they have winxp
I have vista machines and xp machines...
I tried telling them how to set it up with pics and thought it would work ok...but apparently not.

I think they have zone alarm installed, not sure if that blocks vnc prompts...

I just want to see what I have to figure out, to get vnc installed on their machine, so that I can run maintenance and scans for them...defrag, chkdsk, anti-spyware, anti-v scans....etc.

A relative who does not read english all that well, is not computer savy and has an english ui Windows XP.

relative in another country, not computer savy :)
I do know they have winxp
I have vista machines and xp machines...
I tried telling them how to set it up with pics and thought it would work ok...but apparently not.

I think they have zone alarm installed, not sure if that blocks vnc prompts...

I just want to see what I have to figure out, to get vnc installed on their machine, so that I can run maintenance and scans for them...defrag, chkdsk, anti-spyware, anti-v scans....etc.

A relative who does not read english all that well, is not computer savy and has an english ui Windows XP.

is the windows firewall off?? windows firewall will block the VNC application. turn it off and it should work fine...give it a try...

it's hard working with a relative who doesn't know much about the pc, that and we have a minor language barrier as well, hehe.

in any event, I downloaded Crossloop and gave that a go, seems a lot easier than the others out there...BUT it seems slow as heck.

Now I know I couldn't really help them from home on my dialup connectiong, but I went to my sister's and it's still not that fast. She can dl things here around 300kb/s....my relative who is half the world a way, I new had a faster internet connection than I. But still not fast enough it seems, they can dl about 40kb/s.

10000 miles seems to make an impact ;)

Anybody else have this type of experience with distance, a VNC type program...and know if they all will be slow in screen updates?

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom