Screen Resolution changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
This is not that big a deal, but just annoying.

When I leave my computer for too long, either when entering standby or hibernate (I'm not sure which one), my screen resolution changes.

My monitor settings are 1680 by 1050 (native resolution for my monitor), but it changes to 1600 by 1200. Each time I come back, I have to go into Control Panel to change it back. I was told to "refresh" settings on the Desktop, using Right Click, but that doesn't work. Gotta go into Control Panel settings.

Why does it do this? Where is the setting to make sure it stays on 1680?

FYI, I have Windows XP, Service Pack 3, on a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop, P4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive with an Acer AL2223W LCD 22" Monitor. Use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.

Any suggestions how to prevent the change? Thanks.........

Sounds like your Video Drivers are failing. Either that or they need to be updated to the latest version.

Sounds like your Video Drivers are failing. Either that or they need to be updated to the latest version.

Hmmmmm.....ok......how do I do that? I don't even know what type of video driver I have?

Actually, it says I have the Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller.

The driver version is 6.14.10.4396 on my system. When I go to Intel Website, it tells me to go to manufacturers site. So I go to Dell to update drivers page, but it seems I already have the latest of this video driver.??????? (below)

Thanks for help. Again, Monitor/Graphics seems to work fine, no other symptoms of any problems (I don't think), except for that resolution change.

UPDATE: Wait...just ran PC Pitstop. There is a later version of this driver, 6.14.10.4544. PCPitstop recommends download, but Dell doesn't show this version for my system.......maybe my system can't run this version?.....hmmmmmmmmm...............

2pr5r9s.png

Run Everest, Belarc Advisor or SiSandra Software. That will give you what you need to know. There is also CPUz and GPUz that can give you the info as well.

If Dell doesnt have it. Check the Intel site.

Run Everest, Belarc Advisor or SiSandra Software. That will give you what you need to know. There is also CPUz and GPUz that can give you the info as well.

If Dell doesnt have it. Check the Intel site.

Well, downloaded latest version of the Graphics Controller, but that didn't seem to work. Same problem. Leave for too long, goes into Standby, then changes Resolution......

Any other suggestions?

You can try setting the resolution by editing the registry. The reg key is HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video
There will be a subkey that is a bunch of numbers and letters, open it and look for DefaultSettings.XResolution and DefaultSettings.YResolution. Set those to what you want, close registry editor, reboot.

Attachments

• reg.JPG
    reg.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 610
let intel set the software (icon in taskbar or control panel) and not windows. windows sometimes get retarded when waking from standby. it think that you have a 4:3 monitor and not a 16:9 one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom