Scan Computer for password protected files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Did you ever loose track of all the password protected files on your system ? This happened to me just a few days ago when I was looking for a zip file that a friend send me which was password protected. I could not remember the name and location where I saved it to and since I tend to clear the history at each reboot I was not able to take a look at the software protocol of the transfer anymore.
I could ask my friend and admit that I did not look into it yet and make myself look a little bit lost or try to find the file by myself. I naturally decided to try to find it on my own first and use my friend as a last resort.
The application that helped me find it was the Passware Encryption Analyzer, the free version of it to be precise. This tool scans the computer or selected folders / drives for encrypted or passworded files. It lists everything that is found in a table with information such as name, location, file type and date modified.
passware_encryption_analyzer.jpg

The software detects lots of different file types including archives, Microsoft Office documents that have been password protected but also other file types like pdf documents or Bestcrypt files.
The free version has the limitation that it is not able to recover the passwords but that should not be necessary most of the time.

Scan Computer for password protected files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom