Router question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerslave

Banned
Ok, I have a problem. I want to open my ports, but the router I have (Sonicwall) is a buisness router for my dad and it is really advanced and hard to configure, and if I screw something up, he might get in trouble for altering the security of his buisness network.

Ok, so heres my plan, I have a cheap little 5 port router, lets say I take a cable from the SonicWall and plug it into the cheap Linksys, will my new router be the Linksys, and ultimatly will I be able to open my ports after I get it configured?

Wouldn't work - you'd need to forward the ports from the Sonicwall router to the Linksys one.

As long as you don't use ports he is using for his applications and his/your computers are firewalled from each other (I'm guessing he has a work PC at home) you should be ok.

I'm sure just by you plugging your PC into his 'work' internet connection is "altering the security of his business network" anyway.

h0me5k1n said:
Wouldn't work - you'd need to forward the ports from the Sonicwall router to the Linksys one.

As long as you don't use ports he is using for his applications and his/your computers are firewalled from each other (I'm guessing he has a work PC at home) you should be ok.

I'm sure just by you plugging your PC into his 'work' internet connection is "altering the security of his business network" anyway.

I can't configure the sonicwall though, it's too detailed and I can't find any guides to fowarding the ports. Thank you for answering my question though.

p0werslave said:
I can't configure the sonicwall though, it's too detailed and I can't find any guides to fowarding the ports. Thank you for answering my question though.

A single command in the right mode should do it. Sonicwall's have web interface software. It's easy as **** to use. Not having used sonicwall (Cisco all the way!) I cant really comment, and some older ones may still use telnet / hyperterminal to configure them.

However I dug a bit, and it seems all modern SonicWall devices are using a web setup. You should look for a port fowarding or port triggering, or if they use a cisco style of wording things, look for PAT.

Enter the IP of the device you want to port foward to, and the port. It's most likely a TCP application as well. And apply and your done.

Now cisco are real hard to configure, this is a year+ old screenshot of me working on getting SMTP working on a Cisco 831 running CRWS + ACL, which is not a true firewall. I am no longer a noob, and don't enter wrong commands and I use SSH and not telnet now.

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/3991/email4xb.jpg

DJ-CHRIS said:
However I dug a bit, and it seems all modern SonicWall devices are using a web setup. You should look for a port fowarding or port triggering, or if they use a cisco style of wording things, look for PAT.

I don't think this was what he was trying to do.... He is wanting to open a specific PORT on the router....

PORTS:

20 & 21 - FTP
23 - Telnet
80 - HTTP
109 & 110 - POP
666 - Doom

to name a few... if the router blocks port 80, then webpage traffic WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to pass through the router.

PAT is Port Address Translation, and it has to do with sharing an internet connection with a limited amount of public IP addresses with a network that has a number of PC's greater than that amount of IP addresses.... Apples and Oranges. PAT is WAY TOO COMPLICATED to be discussed in this thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom