Requesting information about photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even more great advice.

And one more question before I go to bed ( will be back for more tomorrow, so don't get your hopes up :p )

What is the "easiest" type of photography to ease into? Like if you wanted to just do amateur stuff within your family/friends what would be the easiest? I know a lot of high school kids in my area will go to their friends to do their " senior pictures " so is that something that could easily be done? Sorta asking in a way to rank the difficulty of each thing...like portraits<sports events<weddings..or something like that.

sports action i would say as it doesn't require the knowledge of how to setup the lighting in a studio setting. It helps ease you into figuring out how all the lighting works in different situations, as well as helps develop that eye for a good pose. Also just have fun! Photography is really really fun! Don't let her burn herself out on it working it too hard. Just go out in the yard and take pictures of stuff, play around with things and see what happens. With digital the way it is these days it doesn't cost to play around anymore. She'll learn a ton that way and learn her camera really well.

Heck, back when i started i just sat down at my road and took pictures of the passing cars playing to see what i could do and what speeds, iso's, apertures looks good :)

Edit: this should be moved to the photography forum as it might be helpful to some other people thinking about the same things.

okay thanks :D again

and you never did answer the thing about the weddings..you say two photographers are needed for larger weddings but what exactly would be "large"

Oh haha sorry about that! Around 2-300 guests is what i would consider the upper limit for a single photographer, especially at the reception.

There is a lot of truth to that article. A lot indeed! It's funny because i almost put in my first post that the most beneficial college degree for photography wouldn't be in photography itself, but in business. For us i know this to be true. The amount of time we spend behind the lens is only about 10% if that much of our total hours working. There is a whole lot that goes into everything and at times it can bog you down.

What you have to remember is that if you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life. It is that way with anything you do. If you love photography and it is what makes you happy, then you won't have much trouble with it.

The only thing i don't agree with is "9. Most people cannot tell the difference between great and average photography." That is not true, at least in my experience. They can tell very easily and especially in weddings it seems that it's never quite good enough. Which is one reason we don't shoot weddings unless it is for a friend.

It takes a lot of time and dedication to make anything worthwhile. We've been in business for 8 years now and it's just now paying off to the point where we don't seek work, but the work seeks us. Always remember that your reputation precedes you. And always remember that a reputation that takes 10 years to build takes only minutes to destroy.

I think it's great that she wants to do photography! i'm in school and work at a local studio and i hope to shed a little light on this from my perspective and observations of the market.

1. No, education is not needed, in fact, don't do it unless you want to spend years learning what you can on youtube. It's not like she's becoming a doctor or lawyer, and if she's a really driven person, it would get in the way and be a waste of time and money. Trust me, i'm in my 3rd year of my 2nd photography school, it's not worth it.

2. What career path? The career path she wants. What does she want to do? stock? product? event/wedding? fine art? Pictures of flowers and landscapes don't sell, and usually anyone who tries to pawn off pictures of flowers as fine art get laughed at. Photography is not a 9-5 job, I hope she enjoys long days, and periods of no work, and looking at computer screens, and is a geek about it too, because unless she wants to hire someone, professional level digital photography requires a good deal of expertise of the hardware and software, and how it works and does what it does.

3. She'll figure this out on the way, it's a given, and quite honestly, the easy part. Just make sure it says either, Nikon, Canon, Epson, Adobe, Phase One, or Eizo on it. Very little else is good enough for day-in-day-out use, flexibility, and consistency.

4. If you can think of it, there's a market for it. But use some common sense. Look at the demographics of your town/city. If it's a city like Seattle, unless she can get **** good and reliable, she'll never make big bucks doing weddings. There's already people for that. Nonetheless, the work doesn't just come to you, you have to get it yourself.

5. how much do you make? give or take, nothing-to-chump change. Again, you're only as good as your last job, so unless she's good and reliable, not a whole lot, especially someone who has no trade experience. Not to mention overhead. "can you shoot my wedding?" "sure!" "I don't have a lot of money though" "that's ok, i can do it for $200, i'll just drop off a CD" What a waste of time. Subtract $50-$75 for possible rentals, $35 for fuel, and if you spend 5 hours shooting, and 4 hours in post production, that leaves her working about 9 hours not including travel for rentals or to get to the location for about $11 an hour. That's pretty much minimum wage in some states!

6. It's extremely difficult unless you really put yourself in a specific niche eg. scientific industrial, aeriel.. The problem is that everyone and their mother has a D40/Rebel. And people associate good photographers with big cameras. So when someone totes an SLR people assume they're a good photographer. That's not the case. I can have a Formula 1 car, doesn't mean i'm a race car driver, just means i'm a bad driver with a formula 1 car. I've seen some people make REMARKABLE turn-arounds, but again, these are people who are extremely driven and have little life outside of it.

Realistically, the most important thing she needs is networking skills. If she can't meet new people on her own, if she's shy, if she doesn't want to actively search for new opportunities, if she doesn't like to take risks, than she's not going to get too much further than $200 weddings for friends and family.

I don't want to sound like a buzz-kill, but photography is one of the most saturated markets in the creative industry. It's about as bad as musicians and almost as bad as graphic designers. Photographers are a dime a dozen, it's not the 1990's where the better shooters were obvious. Since digital and the internet, everything has just become so much more accessible, it's easy to teach yourself how to make compelling images. Like what ComatoseClown said earlier, if she can maybe get a job assisting for someone (social networking can really help out here), than she can get a glimpse of what working as a photographer is really like. She might not like it. I know alot of people where when they started working, they lost the creative drive that got them there in the first place, and it's sad, and frankly uninspiring.

FAQ: What should I do to become a full-time photographer? (or, “10 reasons NOT to become a professional photographer”) Junshien Weddings & Portraits

asking questions around and someone gave me this link...and wow..that is ...really negative lol. I know nothing is 100% happy happy rainbows..but this person is just really negative.

recent article ( about a week old)...how much of this do you agree/disagree with ?

Agreed 100%. That is exactly what one should expect, and it's not being overly-negative, it's being realistic.

Even more amazing input, thanks Mr. Switch :D

So going back to some same points: it's best to study under someone to get a feel and to learn the job....and you pretty much have to prove to the world you're better than all the average joe's so people actually know you have talent and it's just not a big camera

And after reading over that article again, it does seem more realistic then everything...and actually kind of what I would expect now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom