Registering laptops and wireless internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arumuni

In Runtime
Hi everyone.

A few weeks ago my computer broke, and I've been degraded to using this 300mhz compooper.

Yesterday my brother told me he can get his hands on a brand new $1,000+ laptop for only $200.00 (assuming stolen). The guy thats selling it told him (my brother is no techie btw) that because its stolen, you can't register it and you can't use internet, or something along those lines because the cops will find out and be knocking at my door.

Can anyone clarify?

Your replies really don't help in clarification....

-__-

Can anyone please tell me why buying stolen, brand new laptops (assuming they are, might not be infact) could be risky? I'd be interested because I don't really see how it could be at all.

To be honest with you, I really don't know if it's possible to track a stolen laptop from the Internet on a clean install.

The only way to do that is with a tracking software that many business have on their employees laptop. The tracking software pings home to the tracking server every couple of minutes I believe, therefore they can track it down to the ISP or they can initiate a complete erase on the system to get rid of sensitive data that may be left behind.

Registering it is a bad idea, it's probably already registered. Stolen laptop are formated and install with a new copy of the operating system.

Other than that I can't think of anything that would make it possible for a cop to track a stolen laptop on the Internet. If they come to your house (maybe GOD told them you have it), than they can verify the unique serial number on the hardware with the registered information from the manufacture.

Ok? :D

Can anyone please tell me why buying stolen, brand new laptops (assuming they are, might not be infact) could be risky? I'd be interested because I don't really see how it could be at all.

Again, I editted my last post.

The computer I'm told is in it's original in store box/packaging, it hasn't been used or opened.

I really don't get this.

Well when I first bought my Acer laptop, I didn't have to register it on the manufacture website, but I had to if I wanted my 1 year free warranty support :)

But I did have to register Windows XP before 30 days pass, so there's your answer. If the laptop was stolen, the store would put out the information to the manufacture about it (just incase someone is stupid enough to register their real name and address).

I'm pretty sure M$ would do something also, since it's stolen and the OS isn't paid for.

The ISP they track it down to might not cooperate, but usually they do and will release your information.

Now the cops are knocking on your door, what do you do?

Should of taken my first advice ;)

Use Linux? it's free, don't have to register :p

So the only problem lies within the XP OS?

That doesn't seem to be a problem, since I have been using an illegal XP with a fake serial for as long as I remember (cheap family).

But that doesn't explain why my brother told me that his friend told him that he can't use wireless internet, that I can only use my phone cable internet which is connected to my router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom