Re-integrating(re-installing SoundMax in Millenium after delete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealinghome

Solid State Member
Must re-install Soundmax and can't get windows to acknowlege anything to do with anything?? Integral inadvertant delete. Not my biggest problem, but if I could fix this, I would feel better about life!!

I re-installed it from the Dell disc into a Dell folder.
I copied .inf file into Windows\inf
I copied dll file into Windows\sys
Can't update driver or lauch the program??
Thanks to anyone who has the time to help..

What you said makes no sense. Sorry. Why would you copy the stuff from the disc instead of use the Device Manager and the Hardware Install Wizard?

Go to the Device Manager from there double click on the device that has the ! next to it. From there select the Driver tab. There say install driver. It will bring up the hardware install wizard.

From there just use the manual method and lead it right to the CD you have. It should install the hardware automatically.

Just copying the files over from the CD does nothing. Not to mention you copied them to the wrong location. There is a Driver folder. C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

That is where your system drivers are stored. Not in the inf and sys folders. That is why your copy method did nothing.

Thanks for the reply..
Using the control panel and Device wizard, it indicates that NTKERN.VXD and MMDEVLDR.VXD are unable to load the driver(s)

What files should I copy to the system32\driver folder?
.Inf, .sys ??
Thanks, still having the other problem with having to reboot every 10 mins....

Also I have the program files in C:\Dell folder and because this was loaded origionally on the sys board I am unable to actually lauch SoundMax. I forgot what else I wanted to say...

Just copying the files to the driver folder will not install the device and get it working. You have to go thru the Device Manager or hardware install wizard.

The process NTKERN.VXD is a kernel process for the old 9X platform Windows. Given that error there is much that can be done but a reinstall of the OS.

Any reason you using a OS like ME and not a Linux distro that can run on the PC? At least that would give you some security compared to the junk OS that ME is.

My life is an open book... Trying to install a new OS over this junk?? What new headaches I would encounter, Ouch!! just would be nice to have the sound back while I try to work on the real problems I am having!! d8-|>

Also the reinstall of OS won't reload the integrated SoundMax onto the motherboard, boy I really did it I think...

One last thing, just in case anyone is wondering why I uninstalled SoundMax to begin with.. Every Volume control was pegged and I had to lean into the speakers to hear anything.. I may be going deaf..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom