Questions about onboard microphones and how Linux handles that hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I was given a netbook recently that I installed Ubuntu 10.10 on. It runs wicked fast and I'm very pleased with it. It's an Acer Aspire One 8.9".

I tried out Skype the other day, but my microphone didn't work. My mic however worked fine in audacity, sound recorder, etc., so I was lost on what was up since it was ONLY skype.

So I looked on Google and Ubuntu Forums and blah blah blah and came to find out quite a lot of people had issues with the Aspire One + Ubuntu + microphone. Netbooks as a whole were always very well supported with Linux but this ONE microphone design was the culprit. Lucky me.

Came to find something out... in the Ubuntu software center there's a package if you search for "PAV" known as PulseAudio Volume Control. If you install that and go to input device, the microphone is listed there, but there's a left and right slider for it. Each slider (when unlocked) can be changed independently from one another.

If I drop one slider to 0%, and the other slider to 100%, Skype microphone works great. If they're both at 100%, no dice. It doesn't matter which is the 100 or which is the 0... as long as ONE is 100 and ONE is 0. Okay, fine.

In my regular sound preferences, if I change the input device volume at ALL it'll automatically change the uneven sliders in PAV to be equal, therefore bringing the problem back. So, word of caution to self, if you're going to tinker with input device volume levels, use PAV...

So, what is this exactly? Why is it the PAV application sees the sliders for the same mic as independent? I can understand left/right speakers, but I'm curious what's up in regard to it being a microphone. I'm also curious if anybody can shed some light on exactly what happened here.

Sure, it works great, Skype is good to go - but basically, I'd like to know why...

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom