Question regarding my hardware

Trenace

Beta member
Hello,

First off I'd like to apologize for my English, I'll however try to be as detailed as I can...

I have an Alienware M17x R3, and have had a very slow Internet connection. No matter from which source I download from, I am stuck at 500kb/s download speed which is the highest.. it usually stagnates and goes down, then up again...

As part of an experiment, I asked my fiancée to compare her download speed with mine, that while using the same internet and speed allocation, and while downloading from the same source. While my downloading would again be stuck at ~500kbs hers would go above 2mbs. That for every single download.

I don't recall which internet card she has all I know is that she has a much older computer... my Internet card is a Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 AGN which apparently is pretty good, from what I could gather anyway...

I've taken these steps in order to improve my connection:

-Checked for viruses, spywares, malwares etc
-Checked for the newest drivers
-Checked the advanced settings of my card using the different walk-throughs I found
-Deactivated both firewall and anti-virus

None of them changed a thing.

That's what I did, that I can remember. Anyway... my IT friend told me to give this forum a try since it has helped him in the past so I thought I'd give it a go... So I'm wondering if anyone of you could help me out and help me repair my hardware if it is software related, or some kind of wrong configuration or I don't know..

If there's information lacking please tell me which it is, and how to provide it and I'll be glad to do so...

Thanks in any case..

Last edited:
Before we get to deep into this, how are you connected? wired or wirless? What about your fiancee, how is she connected?

If you both are connected the same way, then I say you have a computer hardware problem.

Before we get to deep into this, how are you connected? wired or wirless? What about your fiancee, how is she connected?

If you both are connected the same way, then I say you have a computer hardware problem.

Yes, we're both connected through wireless.. As for the hardware, none of the tests find any issue with it, could it be damaged yet the system wouldn't notice a thing?

A friend of mine suggested I do the cmd ping test to find out my MTU.. which I did and changed it to the number without losses... nothing has changed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom