Question on PSU - will 520W handle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portland Newb

Baseband Member
First, I'm a total newb thinking about building my next computer (and putting an axe through my current Dell). This forum has been GREAT as I've been reading as much as possible to avoid the generic "what do you think about this build" post.

I do have a specific question about going with the Corsair 520 PSU. Big thanks to B1GAPL for posting the $80 (w/MIR) deal on Buy.com. It's a highly recommended PSU, and at $80... hard to beat. I'm concerned, though, that maybe I should get a larger PSU. I'm planning the typically recommended set-up that get's posted 5 or 6 times a day - with good reason.

I'm thinking about getting a 74G WD Raptor HDD and two Seagate 250W HDD. The Raptor would be used for Vista and games, and the 2xSeagate for redundancy of other files (e.g. video and pictures that I don't want to lose if one HD crashes). Is the Raptor a waste of money - so I should only get the twin Seagates? I don't want waste money better spent elsewhere.

Here's my concern. The 520W Corsair has 4 SATA connections. So, if I have a single DVD drive, then that's all 4 SATA - no room to expand. So, is that okay? Should I get a larger PSU (w/ 6 SATA)

Thanks to those that know more than I do (ah... everybody) for sharing your wisdom.

Hey Portland Newb,
Welcome to T.F.!!

The Corsair 520HX has enough amps, to power any system right now. Although it has little room for expansion, maybe you might want to look at the 620HX at ZipZoomFly.com....Another great suggestion is the SeaSonic S12 550w (Has 6 x SATA).

The Raptor is a waste of money, because you're paying so much, for so little space...and you don't get a huge increase in performance, at decreasing loading times.

Okay - thanks for the quick reply, b1gapl.

I'm going to nix the Raptor and go with twin (maybe RAID1) Seagate 320's. That will free up 1 of the SATA connectors.

For $80 bucks, I can get it now and then just upgrade when I need more power. The next best options are $130 to $140 with shipping. And the shipping is even free from buy.com (sorry, AP4LIFETN). So if it's saving $40 - $50, then it will be a wash even if I do have to buy another PSU in a couple years.

I'm not in a big hurry, so am just buying things as I see them on sale. So far... (prices shipped including MIR)

NZXT Zero case: $125 (didn't like the Armour or 900, taking a chance)
2G Crucial Ballistix: $80
Corsair 520W PSU: $80

Again, I appreciate the advice - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom