Question about networking and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm taking internet security at school. We've been working with windows machines... linux starts next term.

But I'm a little curious since I run Ubuntu 95% of the time at home, and Win2k4 the rest of the time for gaming and such.

How would I do certain things in Ubuntu, like changing from DHCP to Static IPs? How would I ping IPs? How could I tell what IRQ my keyboard sits on? I know these may be answers you'd know ALREADY but I was just wondering where I'd find it.

I guess I have a lot to learn yet. I been using Linux and studying the Ubuntu forums for five straight months and everyday I learn something new.

Figured I'd ask.

best way to learn things like this is to do so in a manner which makes the distro your using irrelavent, which 99% of the time means commandline

dhcp is activated usually by a script which calls a daemon called dhcpcd usually, the script is usually in /etc/rc.d/? for bsd type init scripts and for redhat style its somewhere else in /etc

to activate a static ip simply use ifconfig and set the desired ip,subnet mask, and interface

to find out system info like interrupts and stuff like that, you will find that info in /proc/sys

configuring linux is simply nothing more than basic text files and usually bash scripts-----those GUI's you see all the time like in ubuntu are nothing more than front ends which parse what you input into text files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom