Purchasing windows VISTA software only

hesson81

Baseband Member
hello, my goal is to upgrade my old DVT5 laptop with an SSD hard drive, keeping it clean, and savin some $$. I found with a different laptop I have simply replacing the HD to an SSD does wonders for my boot up speed along with general speed of the laptop, as I use it only for Light online work and web surfing.

I called HP trying to aquire replacement sofware for vista, It's been lost, as of about 3 weeks ago, It was almost 2 years since I even turned the laptop on.. Of course HP was not helpful, they said that the software was to old, and they don't have it is stock..

Is there a way to use the exsisting OS to make a back up CD of the OS, without backing up all the other info on the computer?? I want to take this thing down to clean. Clean clean clean.

Or where might be the best place to purche Windows Vista sofware (software only) as I already have the key on the bottom of the laptop?? If it's any where near the wondows 7 price i think i'll look at buying a windows 7 64 bit full version if it's close? Or would it better to purchace vista and then a windows 7 upgrade?? hahaha

IDK, i'm sure there's options just looking for the absolute most cost effective way of getting the OS back on this laptop after I install an SSD on it...

Thanks much for your help

hesson81

You can clone what's on your existing hard drive over to the new hard drive and go with that. or...Going from Vista to 7 might have some advantages, but you'll need to purchase Windows 7 and I recommend a clean install, You can get the Windows 7 Home version for around $100.

Last edited:
Have you checked to see if you can download the OS from microsoft? Also, sometimes you can get hold of the CD/ DVD seperately as you already have the licence under the computer so you are only in need of what Microsoft call the "Media" part of the Operating System.

Does a friend have a copy that you can borrow to install with? Remember to use your own licence underneath the machine and it will know which version from the DVD to install - Home, Home Premium, Professional etc.. based on the licence code.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you could clone it as Joe C suggested, the cloned drive would include everything currently on your drive so wouldn't be "clean, clean, clean" as you desire.

Your best option would be to do a "clean" install of the OS which will require you to have the OS disk itself. I would recommend you go with Windows 7 over Vista. You will need to go to the HP website and download all the drivers for the chipset, video, ethernet, audio, etc... before you start so that you have them handy to install to get everything working after the OS install.

Back
Top Bottom