Props to Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Retail versions. I dont buy OEM. But then again my Retail versions are from MSDN and TechNET as well.

I liked XP when it came out. Was more beautiful than 2000 or ME.
Vista was so-so, but not for older systems, took a lot of resources.
7 is the new kid on the block. Almost everyone I fixed computers for says they like 7 better than Vista or XP.

XP was the worst when it came out. It had the most flaws in any release version of a Windows based OS to date. Even before they could push SP1 out there was well over 1,000 flaws found in their code.

I didnt adopt XP till well after SP2 was released due to the fact that there was more flaws than patches being released for the OS.

Vista was a bit of a resource hog, but at least it had only a handful of the flaws XP did.

The reason why people like Win7, it has the speed of XP and the security of Vista.

Well Paton, he can use the oem on the laptop without "ACTIVATING" windows 7 for 30 days.
The minute you tell windows 7 ultimate, or professional to call MS and get legit on OEM, yes you are correct he cannot transfer it to another pc again.
The only way he will be able to if Microsoft excuses the installation as an error on the wrong pc and with proof.
I've done that by mistake with windows xp oem home and pro a few times at home and at work by not paying attention.

The copy of Windows 7 I'm using is from a friend of mine that works IT for a small office company. So I think that it is licensed.

I'm sure Vista wasn't too bad to have on that Acer. I mean it didn't hurt, but it certainly wasn't helping. I just don't know what was causing the freeze/crash. I'm sure it wasn't a virus, I kept it clean for her and was happening almost out of the box. Perhaps a bad driver, though I updated them all. Since Win7 was installed... No problems.

I got my PC together. First build, was a little iffy. Put the Windows 7 Ultimate in and it's running like a champ. Have yet to get a Windows rating yet, was busy putting in the essentials. I do have some further questions though I will save those for the hardware thread.

XP was the worst when it came out. It had the most flaws in any release version of a Windows based OS to date. Even before they could push SP1 out there was well over 1,000 flaws found in their code.

I didnt adopt XP till well after SP2 was released due to the fact that there was more flaws than patches being released for the OS.

Vista was a bit of a resource hog, but at least it had only a handful of the flaws XP did.

The reason why people like Win7, it has the speed of XP and the security of Vista.

Only thing I had troubles with on XP; Lack of driver support. At the time I had an IBM Thinkpad. Came factory with XP. When I did a system restore I got endless BSOD, and couldn't figure out what it was. I would have like 23 seconds from boot up to get into my control panel and uninstall each driver trying to figure out what it was. Was the Intel wireless card... Removed it, installed the drivers, re-installed the card... Worked.

Okay, I just ran the Windows rating thing... I got 7.4 on everything accept the HD which came in at 5.9??? Anyone know as to why this may be?

The Windows rating is trash. Do not base your computer off it.

Everything on my system is 7.4, my SSD is a 6.9

Benchmarks will give you a better idea of how good your system is.

You will want to be careful about your copy of Windows 7. Being from a company those are only to be used for machines leased from that company. So your friend could have easily violated the business agreement his company has with Microsoft. People dont realize that when they just use a license from the company. But there are extra terms and conditions put on businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom