Problem: cracking/popping when data transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie3333

Beta member
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I was hoping that some of you would be able to help me with a problem I am having. I have a cable modem and 3 computers, and I don't have a router. The way my network is set up is that data transfers through my computer to the other 2 computers. however, when I am playing sound and data is transferred between my computer and the other 2 computers, there is cracking and popping in the sound. If, for example, I am transferring a 100mb file from my computer to one of the others, the popping is so bad that you cannot even make out the music that is playing. I have tried updating the drivers for my sound card (SB Live Value) but it didn't work. Anyone know how I may be able to fix this problem? thanks in advance!

Make sure that DMA is enabled on your hard drive. I had this problem too before I enabled DMA.

Thanks, but how do you do this in XP? I went to properties of the hard drive but I can't find anything on DMA. I will continue to search google but if you know an easy explanation please let me know.. thanks in advance!

You go into device manager, but go to the hard disk controller, not the hard drive itself, and make sure it's set to DMA if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom