Printer sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
I feel really stupid asking this question, because I really should know how to do it.

I"m trying to share a printer that is hooked up to a windows 2000 machine to another computer on my network that has windows me on it. This is all behind a Linksys wireless router. The computers are on the same subnet, and I changed the network names so they are the same, but for some reason, I can't get the windows me computer to see the printer, even though the 2000 machine has sharing turned on, and the printer is shared.

What am I doing wrong?

can you see/ping the windows 2000 machine?

A couple of things run thru my mind while reading your post:

1) there might be something wrong with the network settings on the ME machine...try removing EVERYTHING from the network stack (i.e. TCP/IP, Client for Microsoft Networks, etc...) and reinstall them after rebooting..then reconfigure the network on that machine...
2)I doubt this is it, but its worth a try....set a static IP on the ME machine. I've seen problems with some routers ditributing IPs to computers and then they cant see some network resources.
3) Check to make sure you have File and printer sharing on the ME machine....i dont think you need it installed on that machine, but put it in anyway...it wont hurt LOL

on the win2k machine you need to setup an account for the winME machine,, otherwise there will be no authentication,,

plus ,, check for the winME update patch for networking , as this OS is known for its problematic behaviours,,

further,, GET RID OF ME<< save yurself a headache,, have two win 2k machines :)

Dynasty, forgot to say that all machines on my network have static IPs. I have a wireless router, and filter based on IP's, so I don't want some a-hole logging on, and being assigned an IP. I want them to have to work a little.

Crash, wish I could get rid of Me, but can't afford to. 3 machines on my network, 1 running 2000, the other two both running Me (1 was upgraded from 95). Me is also updated on all of my computers. A little freaked about having hackers get onto my computers, so I do that religiously. Will check and make sure that I haven't missed something, though.

Thanks for the replies. I will make sure of all of them.

Well, I got a couple of minutes to spend on my computers last night, and I was able to ping the 2000 machine. But I tried a command called net view, adn got an error message back saying that it couldn't find any shared resources on the network.

share something simple, like the cdrom drive and then see if it works...
net share with no params with show you what the computer is sharing...
net share /help may prove useful to you too..

ok using the net view and net share command's, here's what I'm seeing.

net share on the win2k machine
D$, print$, C$, ADMIN$, IPC$, and Desktop. (The resource after desktop is USB001, and the Remark is printer)

net share on the Me machine
D (shared this out to test it)

net view on the win2k machine
itself and the Me machine

net view on the Me machine
itself only

Crash, how do I set up an account for the Me machine on the win2k machine? That's the only thing that I can think of, right now.

go to the user's icon on your control panel. setup a new user with the same name/password that the ME pc uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom