Powerline 200 to extend wifi?

mwwwilson

In Runtime
Question:
Can I use my Netgear Powerline 200 to expand my wifi connection if I plug the ethernet cable into another router (in my bedroom)?

I have Comcast internet. I have the newer modem/router that they issue, which they call a wireless gateway. Here is a pic...

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/151059045272_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

I have a Netgear Powerline 200 plugged into this with the other end of the Powerline plugged into my bedroom. As of now... I am just using it to plug into my bedroom PC, which works great. The connection to the internet is much better than with just the wifi.

I have noticed that my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) seems to experience signal deadspots in my bedroom though. Let me explain what I mean. My phone wifi signal shows no less than 4 out of 5 bars everywhere in my bedroom. However, if I am in one corner of the room (where my bed is)... I have no internet. The signal shows 4 out of 5 on the wifi but I have no internet communication. Weird, I know. I have done some internet speed tests on my phone (using a connection APP) and have found that I do indeed still have wifi connection. The speed test shows that I have almost no download speed but about 10 Mbps upload speed. Now this is when I am in this deadspot at my bed. If I go to the door, which the Comcast gateway is just 20 feet down the hall, I am good. Go back to the bed and my signal drops to 4 out of 5 on the indicator. No download speed/10 Mbps on upload speed.

Sorry that was long to explain but now you know why I am asking this question. I though about this but it isn't working as of yet. I probably have to configure something on the router ends.

What I am thinking is why can't I take the ethernet cable from my Powerline in my bedroom and connect it to a router (Netgear WNR1000) and repeat the wifi signal? If I could do this, my phone would get full service (like when I am standing at my doorway) and I could just add another ethernet cable to plug into the router and my computer. I would still, in theory, be hardwired by the powerline yet I would have repeated the signal wirelessly through the use of the second router.

So what I'm I doing wrong? What do I have to do to pull this off? I have attempted plugging the powerline ethernet cable into a LAN port and into the WAN port. Neither is giving me any changes. I have not messed with any configuration settings on the Comcast gateway or the Netgear router as of yet.

Can somebody tell me if I am on the right track or if this is not at all possible.
Thanks,
Mark W

You need to put your netgear in AP mode and plug into one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port. Can't remember for sure, but you may need to disable DHCP as well. Also make sure the netgear starts out on a different IP as the modem, but on the same subnet.
E.g. your modem is 192.168.1.1 your netgear should be 192.168.1.x where x is your choice (2 would probably be the next best choice).

Sent from my HTC One

You'll need to plug your PC into port 1 and the powerline adapter into the WAN port. You'll then need to use your PC after acquiring an IP address and get into the Netgear web gui. Under the internet section you should be able to select a connection type. It should have a bridge mode in which you should use. Just know that having 2 wireless signals could cause interference and degrade signal quality throughout the house.

I have the cable coming out of the powerline going into port 1 of the 2nd router. You are correct about not using WAN port. It will only work in a LAN port.
I have another cable in port 2 going out to my laptop. I have wifi turned OFF on my laptop and I am getting a working wired connection like this.
Now my problem is that I cannot get into the 2nd router's configuration.
I used "arp" and found the MAC address of the 2nd router. It states that it is at IP address 10.0.0.2 and the Default Gateway is at 10.0.0.1 - which should be great. However, I cannot access the configuration into the Netgear router (2nd router/access point). I have tried using http://10.0.0.2 and routerlogin.net - I'm getting webpage not available. Yet I can go to any other website, ex: google, yahoo, speedtest.net, etc. If I put in 10.0.0.1, I get the login for my main router (xfinity). I have unplugged the router, power-cycled it, I cannot access it.

You shouldn't need to put it in AP mode. Just go from your modem/router to the powerline, in your bedroom, connect the powerline right into the WAN port. Connect your pc to one of the 4 Lan ports. Reboot the the cable modem/router(s) and pc.
Do not try to access the cable modem/router, You can access the Netgear router in your bedroom use the following if the http://www.routerlogin.com does not work:

http://www.routerlogin.net

Then set up the log in and password in the wireless Netgears settings.
I have this same set up and I can use my wireless Netgear router connected from the AT&T modem/router to my WAN port. From there I have two pc's, a printer and an 8 port switch running from the 4 LAN ports on the Netgear router

Sometimes it helps to disable the password to access the wireless until you get your phone/laptop...ect. to connect and after that use a good password on the wireless router and reconnect your devices using that password.
Don't forget to change the name and password for the Netgears wireless router log in

Last edited:
Ok, for all that may run into this down the line, I succeeded in my goal. Big thanks to all that replied because the correct configuration actually was a mix of all of the suggestions that I received above.

Here is what worked:

Equipment involved was the following:
- Comcast issued Arris modem/router combo (base router)
- Netgear Powerline 200 pair
- Netgear WNR1000v2 router (router 2)

Started by Factory resetting base router using the RESET button. After resetting, I simply unplugged the power cord from the back of the device.

I then went into my bedroom, plugged in router 2 and pushed in the RESET button with a thumbtack until it reset.

Those are very important steps!

I plugged my laptop into LAN port 1 of router 2, in my bedroom, with an ethernet cable and rebooted both the laptop and router. I used www.routerlogin.net or .com (cannot remember) to access router.

Username: admin
Password: password

I went into the Advanced settings/Wireless settings/ and set my SSID and left the security at NONE. I then APPLIED/SAVED settings. Went out and powered up my base router and waited for it to power cycle.

I then went back to router 2, into Internet settings and changed the Gateway IP to 10.0.0.1 (which is what my base router sets to). Be sure that the Mask is set to 255.255.255.0 , and I left my Internet IP what it was, which was something like 192.168.x.x

**** I LEFT ROUTER 2 SET TO DHCP ROUTER ****
- this may come back to bite me but it is working as of now.

I saved settings and powered off the router. I then plugged in the ethernet cable coming out of my Powerline in my room in the WAN port of router 2.

I then power cycled my base router, powered up router 2, and BAM... my laptop, phone, and desktop computer in my bedroom showed my main SSID and my new bedroom SSID as available. Knowing that my main SSID worked, I just attempted to connect to the new bedroom SSID. It worked and it's fast as hell with full signal. My main SSID signal shows two bars lower in my room. This is, of course, why I was doing all of this. The signal was too low and dropped often.

I then went back into the configuration of my bedroom router and set security up with a password. All works great.

I now have a main network for the front of the house, all on WiFI with the base router. My bedroom router now has it's own network, with Wifi, and my desktop is plugged into the router 2 which gives me wired access to my base network.

I'm getting speeds over 35Mbps download and about 12Mbps upload on my bedroom network SSID through the wifi. My desktop gets a little more being that it is wired into the router 2 to the Powerline base - out to the other Powerline base and wired into base modem/router.

Again, I am a happy camper. Thank you for the help... you are all great!

Mark W

Back
Top Bottom