Portable apps on a flash drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
Hi.

Whats the concept behind having portable apps on a flash drive. Im currently installing it just now to a 1gb flash drive. So does this mean i have access to all these apps no matter what computer im on? Can I use these apps to change the host machine (the machine im on) or is it just meant so that you can use the apps on any computer your on?

Portable Apps are meant to be used from any device. So you can use the apps on any machine that has that device attached to it. They will not make any changes to the host machine that your using the apps from.

Ah right - i see. Basically, the usb key can be put into any computer and i can use the software on the key, even though the host machine doesnt have that software installed. Thats a great idea then because before this you would have to install the full apps on the machine that you would be on. So basically, i have access to all these apps on my wee usb key that i can carry around in my pocket!!! hahaha technology is amazing me thinks! ;)

Yup that is the idea. But be careful, some programs that are used on portable devices require some modification to them if you have settings you wish to change. Since they are used in this manner, the ability to change some options is not built into the program anymore since there is no way to store or save the settings cause there isnt a profile created for it. So if you run something like a Browser that you want to make portable and you wish to adjust settings, you have to do it in a different way than just changing it via the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom